Contrast Leading Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrast Leading Edge

Can anyone tell me how big I should make the Leading Edge on a curtain out of a contrasting colour?

Are there any rules or can I make my own up??? Not saying I'm going to stick to the rules if there are any
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Contrast Leading Edge

Hi Karen
    I usually make mine 2"-3" wide for a plain fabric but if using a check fabric go with the size of the checks. It depends on what you want it to look like. Can you mock up a length with the size you think then stand back and see if it looks ok.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I usually allow a 5cm allowance on a leading edge.

As for the rules of applying a contrast leading edge , I attach it to the leading edge like you would attach binding to a bedspread

Allow an 11.5cm cm cut strip width,( 1.5cm seam allowance 5cm face contrast, 5cm return.) Iron over a 1.5cm seam allowance as a guide, place rights sides together with 1.5cm contrast seam allowance face up, baste or tack into place 5cm in from the leading edge, machine 1mm from the seam allowance edge,wrap the around to to back so the leading contrast fabric encapsulates the main fabric in the fold, then treat as a normal return to the back and herringbone stitch as normal.

The fabric deign may dicatate what allowance you will need, mine is based on a plain fabric.

They do look nice with interlining in the contrast fold to give it a little plumpness!

I hope that made sense i'm not very good at explaining!!!Hope that helped

Comment

The contrast edge needs to be a decent size compared to the rest of the curtain or it just looks like a coloured line of magic marker. I would cut the edge three times the finished width, eg to finish at 5cms then cut at 15cms and sew as suggested but match cut edge and fabric edge together before sewing, this makes sure that when you press there is no indentation of seam allowance on the face fabric. I have seen that and it does look awful.

Enid

Comment

Hi Karen,
          I would ask the client what size they expect the contrast to be.

I had this situation a while back, Made my leading edge about 6cm (can't remember exactly) But the client had actually been looking for something a lot wider.

If in doubt clarify with client. I find that the more information I have on peoples requests the happier my clients are with finished results.
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

7CM IS GOOD IF YOUR OVERLAP IS THE SAME.
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

Thanks everyone.
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

Hello All,
                I'm hi-jacking an old thread but have a contrast leading edge question.

Firstly I need to apologise if this is really really dense as I have BAD baby brain at the moment (e.g. I have just had to "remind" myself how wide a side turning allowance should be.... used to do that in my sleep)

I'm just working out some fabric quantities for a pair of curtains with a contrast leading edge. Leading edge on each curtain will be 5cm wide and the raw drop needs to be 245cm. If my raw width for the leading edge is 5cm + 2cm seam allowance + 5cm turning allowance and raw drop is 245cm (per curtain) how much fabric do I need to order?? Surely not 2.5metres as I will have SOOOOO much wastage. Can I join two railroaded pieces to form the long thin leading edge or will a join look bad?

Pass me another chocolate digestive ...... Only 10 weeks to go

Thanks Lovelies xxx

Comment

I would order 2.5m but that is because I don't like a join in contrast fabric especially if it's a plain fabric. Having said that I have got two pairs to make but with a check on leading edge which has to be cut on the bias so that will have joins in it but not a lot I can do about that.

Interesting question Victoria, I'm sure there will be someone along soon to give a more accurate answer.
                  Yvonne

Comment

I agree with Yvonne, you just cannot have a join on the leading egde, well I think it would look awful. As for the wastage, well yes, that is a nuisance but there is not a lot that you can do, perhaps cushions at a later date. For a border of 5cms finished, I would cut 15cms wide as I like to put the face and border edges together , sew at 5 cms in, turn back 5cms and turn over the remaining 5cms round the back of the face fabric and line as usual.

Enid

Comment

Thanks Yvonne and Enid.

Yes a join would look bad...... it is a plain silk so it would look REALLY bad!

Just needed a Decozo reality check

Comment

Working...
                      X