Springback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springback

I have just made a pair of curtains (3 widths in all) set on a corded track with double pleat headings. I gave the curtains a spring back allowance of approx 4cm each (so a total of 8cm in all). Looking at them, I think there is too much allowance and the customer wants them flatter I have not had this problem before, and always make sure there is a little slack in the finished width as i always believed it prevented a strain on the stitches when pulling. Reworking is not a problem as I can always incoroprate the excess 3cm per curtain into the pleats. However, I dont want to repeat this again, so what allowance dio others give on buckram headed curtains on track?

Sas

Re: Springback

I usually work to double fullness with 10cm springback per curtain and haven't had any customer queries. However, I don't think I have ever hung hand pleated curtains on a corded track. I wonder if this makes a difference in the tension put on the curtains when closed?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I think Louise has hit the nail on the head here - the corded track will be the problem as the tension on the curtains will be constant and the mechanism will not allow any springback.. Can you extend the track?

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for your replies Louise and Philip. Yes, I am sure you are right -the tension is the problem, and unfortunately I cant extend the track as it was made to measure
        Perhaps next time I should not put in any spring back at all - just a good overlap. Oh dear - today was not a good day as I really havn't got time to rework, but I cannot leave an unsatisfied customer................where's the red wine!!

PS I shall advise my next customer (who wants a similar set up) to go for uncorded track. Unfortunately due to spacings, we cant put up a pole

Sas

Comment

Hi Sas,

I absolutely hate corded tracks, and I have noticed similar when I have hung curtains. Because the leading gliders continue until they meet in the centre, this will mean that the outside edge of the curtain does not fully extend. However, I have also seen many pairs of curtains hanging in clients houses (that I have not made) and they are doing exactly the same. Because corded tracks usually have fiddly overlap arms, I think it is risky not to allow any spring-back because you may find there is too much tension on the leading edges, plus you need to allow a bit extra because the placement for pin hooks can be a bit messy also. If the track does not return to the wall, could you do this to use up some of the slack?

I now recommend hand pleated curtains to go on poles as they look nicer. I also try to avoid corded tracks if possible. Draw rods are an alternative if the customer does not want to handle their curtains.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sas - I normally calculate ease/springback at 3cm per width.

Corded tracks can tend to leave a bit of the curtain running behind at the back edge if too much ease is included but if you don't provide this ease then the spaces can pull too flat and many customers want to see a more natural look to the head. I most certainly would never make hand pleater curtains without including ease.

Comment

Thanks - its 'nice' to know the problem exists and that it wasn't necessarily the fault of my curtains. At least next time I will explain these problems to the client and perhaps try and persuade them to use poles too!!

Sas

Comment

Working...
              X