Sewing the hems - Interlined curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing the hems - Interlined curtains

How do you do your hems on interlined curtains? Slip stitch or herringbone? If hand sewing hems on interlined curtains I have always slip stitched but have recently converted to herringbone stitch and find it easier, smarter and faster.. Sew through all thicknesses except the face fabric as normal.

Philip

[attachment=0:1ou1q794]herringbone.gif[/attachment:1ou1q794]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Sewing the hems - Interlined curtains

Herringbone every time! I used to slip stitch many moons ago before doing my course and often wondered why the interlining would roll down ,,,doh!!! The herringbone stitch should be sewn low enough to catch the interlining and hold it in the hem fold so it doesnt stray.

Nice diagram Phillip

Comment

Herringbone stitch is the one I would always use on the bottom hems of curtains. Smaller spacings than down the side turnings though.

The stitch should only alternate through the face fabric and the interlining. It acts like a spring and tensions the face fabric evenly to the interlining without binding the two layers completely which is precicely what you don't want to do. If you stitch through all the layers then you are locking them together as you would if you put a running stitch through. This will defeat the object of the herringbone stitch which is there to provide flexibility and tension.

Comment

I always use herring-bone, but find the size of the stitches embarrassingly large! I have tried but cannot make them any smaller, as the needle needs to pass through the layers and I end up with a larger stitch than I would like. I never go through to the face fabric. I also make 4" hems on the curtains and 3" hems on the linings (an inch bigger than I would for lined only curtains). I always insert weights but question their use as I once left them out by mistake and there was no difference at all. I now put them in because I feel clients wanting interlined curtains know enough about curtain making to expect them, but I really don't think they're necessary.

I also found in one of my books a very useful stitch that I have used on the side hems for interlined curtains, it is called pyramid stitch and is a lot quicker than herringbone, and uses a lot less thread (not so frequently fastening off and needle threading!). It is worked from right to left (if you are right-handed) and basically looks like a pyramid open at the top, you do not go back on yourself as you do with herringbone stitch. Don't know if anyone else has used this, but I would not use it for the bottom hem.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue,

I've never heard of this stitch and am fascinated! Have you got a picture of one anywhere? I'm hopeless at getting my head round things without pictures...I wonder if there is a drawing in my ancient sewing book...off to investigate!

x.

Comment

Hi Sue

I use this stitch on all my side turns for interlined blinds and curtains, but definitely not hems. You're right it uses a lot less thread and I find it a lot quicker. Jules if you have any of Caroline Wrey's books you will find it in there. I'm going to see if I can scan it in for you to see.

Daisy

Comment

Sorry, not being difficult, but I have a huge library of curtain books and I cannot remember which one I saw it in, if you are interested and cannot find it, I will have a look for you and try and post a photo (how do you do that?)

Sue.

Comment

Sue when you do a posting you will have the option to up-load an attachment - Click up-load attachment and up-load from where you saved the picture on your hard drive.

See below the text box when writing your post.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hope this is helpful
                  Daisy x

[attachment=0:bls0rpqo]PyramidStitch_91.jpg[/attachment:bls0rpqo]

Comment

Thanks Daisy - thats the one! Much quicker than herring bone, but I only use for sides, I don't think it is stable enough for the bottom hems.

Sue.

Comment

Thats what I refer to as a serge stitch. 'Tis a good one to use, although I do prefer a herringbone, dont quite know why, its kind of a theraputic stitch

Comment

Thanks Daisy,

Lovely pic, now I understand! It's kind of an offset running stitch isn't it? I think I'm with you though T. I think the herringbone is a firmer stitch as each time you make a stitch you kind of lock it off before making the next stitch. I do think it is really therapeutic and can herringbone till the cows come home..... mmm, I often do!

Jx.

Comment

Working...
                        X