Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Allowances

Can anyone please advise me
    When making triple or double pleat curtains using the tucking the fabric up underneath the bottom of the buckram method what measurement should I allow plus ease. Depth of buckram plus a a couple of cms for tuck under and a couple for shrinkage.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Turning Allowances

Hi Penny, I would have thought that it would depend on the depth of the buckram you're using. I usually use 15cm, but if making pleated heading by folding the fabric over I prefer to overlock the edge and leave it showing rather than tuck it under. I tried to tuck it under once but didn't like the way it looked from the front, you could see a line where the edge of the fabric was. Don't know if this helps.
    Kim

Comment

Hi, If I use this method I use double the width of buckram, as Kim says you can see a faint line from the right side where the edge of the fabric is. If it goes right up to the top of the buckram you cannot see this line. Then you have a whole new ball game of whether the thickness of fabric will go through your machine when making the pleats!

Sue.

Comment

Hi Penny,

If I do them this way, which I don't very often, I use double the depth too, so the face fabric goes under the buckram and right back up to the top. I have seen curtains made using just a slight tuck under but don't like the line this creates on the face of the curtains. I have also seen the fabric overlocked to the bottom edge but, as I don't have an overlocker this is not an option for me.

Comment

Both John Lewis and Laura Ashley use this method and overlock the raw edge rather than fold it under.

Philip

Comment

Working...
          X