Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velcro on to valances

Hello

I just thought I would share with you a way of sewing your velcro on to a Valance.

I have used a strong thread 36 from Merrick and Day to sew this with, so I have sewn into the fabric, caught the velcro and zig zagged the stitches across, making it much quicker to do!!

Kathy[attachment=0:29ez8gq8]velcro.jpg[/attachment:29ez8gq8]
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Re: Velcro on to valances

Hi Kathy, what a great idea... Does it move much if you have to reposition the valance whilst hanging? I have 3 valances to do all 4 widths and am worried about my poor fingertips so this looks like a fab solution.
    Kim

Comment

Hello Kim

I fitted that one with no trouble, I think the best advice I could give is be respectful of the velcro and if you have to pull the valance off and re-position it I would pull it off from the top holding the velcro and valance together.

Try it and see - I got to sew it on a 20 ft valance tomorrow.

Kathy
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Kathy - This looks a good way to attach loop tape - much less work than trying to hand stitch the tape to the back allong both edges. I have never tried this method before. I can see that you have picked up a stitch through the tape each time you have crossed over which I am sure should hold it securely enough. I hate stitching through hook or loop tape and always machine mine to a band of lining material first and then hand stitch the band to the valance, saves a lot of pain and it's much faster. I will give this method a go as there are many applications where your method would benefit the work.

Comment

Penny's trade secret of running the velcro through the machine minus the thread would also help here. Each time you need to make your little stitch through the velcro, you could go through one of the holes 'that you made earlier'! Very clever kathy!

Comment

Hi, Yes this is one of my pet hates, and I'm pleased to see this example. One of my worries when I have hand-stitched Velcro, is the neatness of the stitches on the reverse. My stitches always seem to get bigger and further apart the further down the valance I get! Now I know that they are not visible, but I always feel like someone will check the quality and size of my stitches once I have gone! This has made me feel much better about the quality of my stitching, and now I feel like I can adopt this method quite happily. Thanks for this tip it will save me many hours! Also I think it will stop the 'shrinkage' that I have had when sewing Velcro on (it is the right width when I start, but by the time I have sewn on the Velcro it has shrunk by several cm's.)

Sue.

Comment

What a neat idea! I have a VERY long pinch pleat valance to do next - I will definitely give this a go. Thanks for the tip.

Sas

Comment

Hi Folks,

I did a bit of a sneaky today....... I had a long piece of velcro to put onto a blind lining and the thought of the movement/possible puckering made me feel a bit sick. After a strong coffee and a walk around the garden I decided to put dabs of copydex onto it, let is go tacky, before pushing it firmly onto the lining. Then I stitched in onto the lining before stitching the lining to the blind. Would this work for valance linings, to hold them in place prior to stitching by machine/hand?

It didn't dare stretch once adhered to the lining....MY MUM WAS HERE TO KEEP IT ALL IN CHECK!

Comment

Hi All,

I have a couple of long valances requiring Velcro to be stitched on.

I took a valance down from a customers pelmet board last week, (made by our favourite shop). The Velcro had been machine stitched onto the valance prior to the pleats being made. Anyone tried this?

Also the goblets had been padded with polystyrene tubes (a bit like you would insulate pipes with). Not a very green solution.

Thanks,
                  Sue.

Comment

It must have been very bulky with the velcro in the pleats as well. I always machine velcro onto a strip of lining, raw edges turned under and just showing, then handstitch through the lining on the back of the valance. This is easier than trying to handstitch into the velcro itself. I would be a bit worried about the large zigzag stitches - I would know to be careful if taking it down, but would the homeowner? Would be interested to find out if it lasts okay.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                    X