Uneven floors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven floors.

Hi all, Has anyone had this problem before? I have had floors which drop off a few cms from left to right or from right to left, BUT I recently went to hang some curtains that the client wanted skimming the carpet, and the floor was 2cm higher next to the wall than it was 10cm out from the wall. This meant that when they were open the folds of the curtain skimmed the floor at the back of the fold, but were off the ground where the fabric came forward. I spent ages fiddling with them and re-measuring the drop, slightly panicking that I had made an error in my measurements but no it was the floor. I explained the dilemma, i.e they were either going to look too long or too short but I didn;t want to sound like I was making excuses about them not sitting right.

I think that there must have been a very thick underlay down that had flattened over the years, but the edges of the carpet were still a nice plump pile bringing them up.

The man of the house seemed ok with them, and the designer I was working with was ok about them, but I am still waiting to hear from the lady of the house...

I came away with a really sick feeling in my stomach that I usually only get on the way in to a fitting, the relief usually comes on the way home.

This job is really not good for your nerves is it?
    Kim

Re: Uneven floors.

Yes I have had this problem lots of times Applemoon. I think now this has happened to you for the first time you will probably be a little more in front of the problem next time it occurs and you will be more equiped to deal with it. Ideally you should try to find the optimum position for them to sit in relation to the floor when you measure but with the best will in the world things don't always go to plan. Sounds like you are on the right side of half of the clients and the designer so try to stop beating yourself up so much. The more you point out that there is a problem when you are on site the more the problem will escalate in peoples minds. Last year I had a some curtains in a very old house which ran out 4 inches from left to right over three widths and back to front about 3cm. I got over the problem simply by being aware that a problem existed and I measured accordingly and telling the client how I was going to deal with it. There is never a perfect solution Applemoon just as there is never a perfect window, floor or wall. Simply take two steps back, give each job an extra two coats of looking at and take in all the little details. You're doing pretty well so far and your approach to your work is always so honest and fair. You'll be ok just stop worrying so much.

Comment

Yes, Applemoon, had this problem as well.

Patio doors are another place where this can happen. Years of walking in and out can flatten even the best of underlays especially about one step width in from outside....thats where the foot lands!! I have taken a spirit level with me before, kept it in the car just in case, and shown the customer ths difference. Least said, soonest mended and if the hubby is happy don't say anything.... be confident with your finished product and walk away.
      Those carpet mats for wiping feet can do this as well....its a bit like the TV shuffle the carpet fitters talk about....theres not a lot you can do.

Enid

Comment

HI Applemoon, I sympathise completely.

The best way to deal with this is when you notice any difference in measurements notify the customer from the outset and tell them what the options are so that they know not to expect an unreasonable level of perfection. I have also been in this position and the customer can try to make you feel like you have done something wrong. Some recent customers of mine wanted me to somehow match the floor levels and were obsessive. They made me feel awful and complained about everything. You are not a magician and especially in old houses levels will always be out. Try not to worry. You have our backing.
        Karen Rhodes
        Karen Rhodes Design
        Pole Design

Comment

Hi Kim,

I have had this problem also, particularly where the client wants them 'just skimming the floor, any slightly undulations in the carpet, floor or even the length of the curtain makes it so obvious to us, but not always with the client. My own Mum has a wooden frame around her patio doors which is also on the floor, so the curtains look short to me, but if I had made them any longer the back of the fold would rest on the wooden frame making them appear too long. I think we just have to make the best of it, and I always breathe a sigh of relief when a client requests curtains touching the floor about 2cm or so.

Sue.

Comment

Thank-you all for your support. I did the initial measure up about an hours drive away, then they asked me to go again to measure another room, so I did. The pelmet boards and tracks were supposed to be up on this visit but when I arrived the walls were still bare. I told the designer she'd have to measure the final drop as I wasn't able to do another 90 mile round trip!! Herein lies my error. I should have measured myself and charged them a fee to come and do it!! There is always so many variables in this job, but we keep learning.

Designer thinks I should do all the hems for the next job on site!!! 3 pairs of 3 width curtains - I don't think so...
            Kim

Comment

I would support you entirely in that respect Kim - Alternatively ask the designer to give you the dead drop she wants the curtains making up to. That might produce a sharp intake of breath.

Comment

Bounce it straight back to her in future... good plan. K
                Kim

Comment

Hi Kim,

Entirely sympathise, I worked with an interior designer when I first started and was initially grateful for the work and experience. However like you, I had so many wasted journeys and frequently arrived for a final measure to find that poles were not up, or even manufactured. The clients were often in the dark why I was there. Once or twice I accepted her measurements, and spent hours twiddling with pin hooks on-site to ensure everything was right. I do not regret not taking on any work from her any more. I made no money from any fabric and spent hours travelling and loads on petrol!

Sue.

Comment

Working...
                  X