Bonded Lining/Interlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonded Lining/Interlining

I know that this has been around a while and I have never used it. However, I have a single curtain to make for myself and I am tempted to use it for that as a trial. It will be in my hall, so clients will see it when they arrive, so I want it to look good. IF I use this instead of the normal two-layer approach, what is the right way to do the side and bottom hems? I don't want them looking thin and empty compared to the rest of the curtain. Should I take the bonded stuff right up to the edges and bring the face fabric round afterwards and stitch as you would with the interlining? This will mean that there will be no lining hanging loose at the back.

Has anyone used the Evans Satin Fleece Lining which seems a good half way house?

Any suggestion or is the answer don't use. Assume there is a market for this stuff as Evans appear to have expanded their range of bonded products since I last looked.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: Bonded Lining/Interlining

Hi Sue,

I really don't like this bonded lining. I was asked to use it by a client and wish I'd said no. If you do hand pleated headings you can 'get in under control' a little but, with taped headings it just seems to have a life of it's own and I find it very stiff!

The only way I managed to stitch face fabric to it and retain some bulk in the leading and back edge, was to bring it right to the fold and then double over the face fabric onto the lining and slip stitch into place ON TOP of the bonded lining, rather than sitting the lining on top of the face fabric edge as you would normally do.

If anyone else has had more success I would be interested to hear, but think I'll stick to traditional interlining and lining. I know this is all LA now offer if you ask for interlined curtains so perhaps a trip to LA and a good look would be a starting point.

Oh, it's ok to put inside a roman blind in lieu of interlining and I've used it to pad my work table. I had loads left so do need to find uses for it....

Sorry not to sound more positive.

Comment

Hi Sue

Sue if you're set on using it you will need to take it right to the edge of your curtain and fold the face fabric back over it and slip stitch down the sides to a false mitre. By very aware that this stuff has the draping ability of wood and doesn't move with fabric at all.. It's stiff and only really suitable for interlining roman blinds.

Personally Sue, and after knowing all these years, I don't think you'll be happy with the finished product. I have used it on 4 sets of curtains and wouldn't give you a thank you for it again.

Hope his helps, Sue...

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks, I think I will leave well alone. It was the 'draping ability of wood' that did it for me!
        Sue.

Comment

Hi, would have to agree with all the above. However, it DOES have it's uses - I've found it's brilliant for making roman blinds where the client would like a thicker, warmer end product but doesn't want to pay for hand-made. Bag lined romans made with this work really well. I would never again use it for curtains.

Comment

Working...
          X