Executive decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executive decision

I have today decided to stop interlocking curtain linings as standard - From today it's a chain at the hem between the face fabric and lining fabric every 1/4 width..

I feel liberated!
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Executive decision

Phillip that did make me smile! I have often thought about omiting the interlocking but have not been brave enough.
    Do let me know how it goes.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I've used this method on several sets of curtains now and haven't noticed any difference when I've fitted them - Using the chain stitch every quarter width holds the fabrics together and stops it ballooning when drawn, gravity also plays a large part. From this day forward I will only interlock interlined curtains, and even then, only the interlining.

Do it Penny, take the first step...

[attachment=0:3flopnbt]chain.JPG[/attachment:3flopnbt]

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I'm not that brave either - can't teach an old dog any new tricks!
        I would rather waste my time doing stuff I probably don't need to do just because "thats the way I was taught".
        Good for you Philip - you are very brave!!
        Yvonne

Comment

Yvonne, when I come down for my visit I will walk you through it, holding your hand all the way!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hey Phillip,

I have been doing this lately and is soooo much easier.
            The last curtains were interlined, and just as you have suggested, I interlocked the interlining only and then chain stitched the lining to the fabric hems. The interlining was 'loose' as discussed inearlier threads, and the whole thing hung very well indeed. Anything for an easier life.............

Sas

Comment

Are you visiting my cold garage soon Philip? I would really like to be shown how to make them chain stitch things - never had much sucess myself. I can arrange a champagne reception for you Philip but unfortunately can't do much about the small cold space at the moment - but you never know what is round the corner! I best make some new curtains for the hallway quickly then as I put the old curtain back up yesterday which is 6" too short as I have a new Byron and Byron pole with sparkly ends which has been moved up! It is not a very good example to show a customer now is it!
              Yvonne

Comment

I wouldn't worry about that Yvonne, for 18 months I had a pair of gorgeous bedroom curtains, one curtain triple pleat and the other goblet! Never have the time to do my own..

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

At least you won't have to chill your champagne Yvonne. Just leave it in the workroom!

Comment

oh Champagne reception Yvonne when is that?

how long does it take to make a chain stitch Philip and how many do you do. I only interlock at the seams and it doesnt take long.

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

I've put them in every 1/2 width on the current curtain project, and it takes a few mins each chain stitch.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi philip,
                        OMG I have never locked the lining to the facefabric, only ever chainstitched every 1/4 width. I do however ALWAYS interlock both when i use interlining, perhaps I'll just interlock the interlining in future!!!

Comment

A well know curtain firm close to me never lock their linings in curtains that come from the workroom and my spy tells me that they don't have problems. I rather think that they don't even chain stitch!! The last pair that I have hanging are silk interlined, I locked the interlining , made it a loose one though, and only chain stitched the lining along the hem. I do agree, though, that its a personal thing and it really does not take long to do the locking stitches.......
                          Please could we have a quick visual aid for the chain stitch?? I know that its in the M & D book, but it made no sense to me. I made up my own but its not as tidy as I would like. Doesn't it make you feel good when an idea to save time works??

Enid

Comment

Then it's not only me that couldn't follow the M&D chain stitch instructions! I put it down to being left-handed.....

I found this and it worked for me thread chain it works a dream with my Coats 36 thread.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have no clue when it comes to the instructions in the qwerty, so I use a crochet hook to create mine. I'll do a video later today when I get a spare few mins.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X