top to bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top to bottom

I'm making two pairs of eyelet curtains. The customer wants the top of the curtain to have a plain contrast to the patterned fabric something she saw in a shop. I've the fabric cut out and I'm wondering when I'm joining the top (plain fabric) to the bottom (pattern) will I start sewing together where the widths are joined so that they line up? just in case they don't meet if I start sewing as normal. Hope ye understand what I'm saying. One pair is 2 widths either side and the other pair are 1and half width each side.

Also the curtains are 87" finished drop and I've allowed 10" for the top section and 77" for bottom - would this be ok?

Ursula.

Re: top to bottom

Hi Ursula i think it is really important to align your seams ,i would start sewing from the seam out towards the edge and then you may have to turn the curtain over and start sewing from the seam again to the other edge ,the other option is to pin or pin and tack the pieces together very securely as you dont want the fabric to creep or slide as you are sewing it .

Comment

Thanks Alic, that's exactly what I was thinking and trying to explain.
      Ursula

Comment

Hi Ursula,
        Have just read your post and the reply from Alic. I agree with Alic's suggestion. Having made the mistake of sewing as normal, rather than from the width seams outwards, on a pair I made for myself, the fabric did indeed creep a little, so they are slightly out of alignment.

Comment

Is there a chance you could rail road the contrast fabric= no joins at all ???

Comment

Oh Tam why didn't I think of that before I cut the fabric - your way ahead of me - it must be all that cycling your doing ha ha I'll know the next time, Thanks
            Ursula

Comment

Hi Ursula

I made these type of curtains and I railroaded the fabric and they looked fine.

Best of luck with them

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

I did some a little while back and had to join two very different weights and different colours - had to change threads at the cross over point. I did them the way you are Ursulla and pinned thoroughly and the joins were fine. Some I did for my brother a few years ago I did by railroading the contrast and that was a little easier.

Comment

Working...
                X