Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To interline or not?

Hi

I am making four pairs of curtains - three of which are in faux silk. The shop where I have ordered the fabric have recommended interlining as it will make them hang better and no doubt add to their overall appearance. Is this sound advice?

If I do use interlining how do I join the widths. Does machining make it too bulky? Should I butt the edges up and hand sew together?

Lastly does anyone have an opinion of the bonded lining and interlining now available. Would this be a good choice for a novice?

Many thanks

Bronwen

Re: To interline or not?

Hi Bronwyn

Welcome to the forum - You'll find all the help and advice you need here and the users are quite a friendly bunch.. With regards your question I would agree that interlining is necessary for the overall look and feel of the faux silk curtains you're making. Bonded interlining isn't something I would ever recommend for curtains but I know many members here use it very successfully in roman blinds.

Using a seperate interlining will give you a better finish that I'm sure you'll be happier with. It's more work but well worth the extra time spent.

You can machine the widths togther, or do as I do, lay the interlining on the main fabric and stitch it together as you go along the widths. This gives a flat seam.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Bronwen,
      Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to Wales.
      I would definitely use interlining - it gives a much more luxurious finish. When I join widths of interlining together, I always place one edge slightly over the other and then join with a zig-zag stitch. I pin together first so layers do not slip. I think you will find all the advice on the forum is not to touch the bonded lining/interlining for curtains - it does not drape.
      Good luck!
      Rosannagh

Comment

I agree with Bronwen, but have now stopped using the zigzag and sometimes I trim away the extra fabric where it has overlapped.
        Janie

Comment

Janie

Comment

[attachment=0:11ptg9x0]IMG_1677.JPG[/attachment:11ptg9x0]Hi there,

When I made this curtain for our bathroom, I interlined with sarille and lined with an Ivory Sateen - both from Evans. I went with the sarille following advice I had found on my.decozo as the curtain is for a bathroom window and I didn't want any shrinkage. So far none of the fabrics have shrunk - the main face is 2 different silks and they have been up for 9 months plus, so fingers crossed!

Interlining really gives the fabric a boost - just like a "botox" injection!

C.B.
            France

Comment

C.B.
              Lovely curtain well done you. I'm still not brave enought to try interlining and I have a roll of sarille looking at me every time I go into the sewing room
              Ursula

Comment

Now that's a plumptious bathroom curtain!

Comment

Lovely curtain, C.B. Beautifully made!

Ursula - do try interlining, it's not nearly as difficult as you expect, you would make a lovely job. I much prefer it, very satisfying as some fabrics, especially silk, really ' come alive' when interlined.
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Maybe we could do one together Ursula?

Comment

Ursula... I only started interlining curtains a couple of years ago and wouldn't do it any other way now. Even inexpensive material looks good when interlinined. I am mainly self taught so if I can do it so can you!

Best wishes
                      Co
                      Kind regards
                      Colina

Comment

It's true C.B. love your comment .....it is like giving curtains a shot of Botox .
                        Ursula, you will have no problem after looking at your gallery of work. I have just finished a pair of ready-mades that i had to take apart and they looked great when they were finished (self praise)!!
                        Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Working...
                        X