Hemming silk curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemming silk curtains

Hi hope someone can help!. I have just made a silk curtain interlined dimout lined and lined. I know a lot of layers it is a south facing window so wanted to protect the silk. Made the curtain up very hard work the dimout is so slippery. I have just hemmed them, normaly i would herringbone the hem onto the interlining only not going through the face fabric. So i have done this through the interlining and dimout lining (i take my interlining and dimout into the hem of the curtain). But this time every third stitch i took it through to the face fabric. I did this because remember reading a few weeks ago about interlining bagging at the hem after a period of time. I did this because thought it would prevent any bagging happening. But i have ended up with the silk bagging over that third stitch i put in argh looks bad!. Any help would be much appreciated. Also am i just making more work for myself putting in the dimout as i have 5 more of these curtains to make would like to loose the dimout if poss the interlining i have used is domett so not as thick as bump would the sun get through this in time?. Any suggestions please.

Re: Heming silk curtains

Hi Natasha,

Ooh nightmare with the baggy hem, I feel for you

I'm using some thermal lining at the moment, it seems quite densely constructed and I wonder if it might help block the light, if used alongside your domette instead of the combination of dimout lining and standard lining? I don't know the answer myself, but someone much more knowledgeable might be able to say.

Good luck and I'm sure the curtains will look wonderful

Comment

Re: Heming silk curtains

I would restrain from taking any stitches through to the face fabric when stitching the hem. You will have some movement in the dim-out as it is slippery and kind of has a mind of its own. Herringbone stitch is fine.

I would also interlock the interlining to the first hem crease to avoid the interlinings moving if you are worried. Fold over the interlining and dim-out to the crease line and interlock in one go catching both layers. That should hold it in place.

I hope the above made sense I'm not too good at written explanations!

Dim-out is a task to work with but once mastered is a good product to use on silk as the body remains fluid. The sun will penetrate the silk but I'm not sure its enough to merit the fabric fading. I prefer dim-out if a client requires blackout properties in a room such as a bedroom, 3 pass on silk makes it stiff.

Comment

Re: Hemming silk curtains

Hi there,
        I'm sorry to say that if you use thermal and domette it wont block out the light,I have done this before, as I use quite a lot of thermal. You need to be quite careful putting silk on south facing windows without blinds, they will fade alot !!!! if not immediately, eventually,
        Regards,
        Helen

Comment

I don't think it matters about all those layers, obviously silk needs lining and interlining but to be frank the leading edge is the thing that deteriorates first where it faces the sun, so I don't think that the extra layer will prolong their life. The customer just needs to be informed that if they choose silk and don't have blinds behind them during they day that eventually they will wear. I have protective film on my window where I have a silk roman and it has just frayed along the bottom, but I realised that it is because I have the sash window open a lot. Anyway it is now time to redecorate, so will be renewing it then
          Janie

Comment

Why don't you get rid of the ordinary lining? The dimout can be cream and be used instead of an ordinary lining. That gets rid of one layer.

Julie
            Julie

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. I have taken the dimout out of the curtains just not happy with it. The 2 south facing windows are only approx 80cm wide so am going to suggest a voile roman blind set into the window to help protect what do you all think?. The client is away during the winter in spain so the curtains don't move for at least 4 months so think roman blind would be a good idea to leave down.

Comment

As long as it keeps out sunlight!

Comment

Originally posted by helen may View Post
                  Hi there,
                  I'm sorry to say that if you use thermal and domette it wont block out the light,I have done this before, as I use quite a lot of thermal. You need to be quite careful putting silk on south facing windows without blinds, they will fade alot !!!! if not immediately, eventually,
                  Regards,
                  Helen
                  Hi there

I was hoping to use domette and thermal lining for curtains and was warned that it may stick due to friction and that they two fabrics would clash, but it seems you use them a lot, how do you find using the two together? do you use them with blackout or do you make curtains with domette and thermal lining touching each other? If so how does it hang do the two fabrics work ok together?

Comment

Voile won't completely cut out the uv rays of sunlight. I would suggest a roller blind in a fabric that will help that, but don't ask me what fabric it is! It's the sort that National Trust uses in their houses.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Are they sometimes called Holland blinds - the ones to cut down sunlight.

scottishholland.co.uk
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A while ago I made some little slip-covers to cover the leading edges of some silk curtains when the client was away. The client was super impressed with the idea, similar to the ones the National Trust make out of tulle, but I used a coloured lining close to the colour of the curtains.
                        I always use the dimout with interlining if we are worried about the effect of sun on the fabric. I also hand-sew my lining hems onto the face fabric which gives it a bit more stability.
                        I find the dimout (are we all talking about the same thing? The Bell's Venus?) quite slippy but I
                        rip it a bit longer than I need and overlock at least one of the ends,
                        overlap it to join,
                        tuck it inside the side and hem folds before closing up,
                        then put the lining over it and lock through the dimmout into the interlining, so you dont have another whole layer of locking to do,
                        which makes life much easier.
                        Gill

Comment

Working...
                        X