Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip stitching the other edge?

Hi everyone,

As you know I'm new to interlined curtains, and I'm still beavering away at the first of my door curtains (my M.E. has been less good lately, so progress is pretty slow).

Having read up on the techniques involved I understand that the lining needs to be attached using slipstich, and that you should slipstitch up both sides of the curtain, from bottom to top.

I sew left-handed, and am currently slipstitching the side of the curtain which will hang on the right. I've got the curtain laid out lining-side-up on my "work table", and am trying to work out if I am being very dense - I'm sewing up from bottom to top, using my right hand - and making quite slow progress As I have several curtains to make, I thought I'd check on here if there is a cunning work-around, or if there is a perfectly simple way of using one's dominant hand for sewing both edges, or if all you professionals are just as good at sewing with both hands? I can sew right-handed, it just takes me four times as long!

Re: Slip stitching the other edge?

Hi Wibble puppy,
    I'm sure you must have read wrongly. You can't stitch both sides by hand from bottom to top because of the problem you are facing. I think what you read referred to machine stitching, where it would be preferable and easy to stitch bottom to top.

So on the far side, go top to bottom!

I'm left handed as well, all the best people are :P

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Depending on how you lay it in front of you, you can achieve hand sewing in only one direction if you want. It involves having the lining edge facing up with the leading egde of the curtain at the top going one way and the lining edge facing towards you and the leading edge below it. It takes a few stitches to adapt to the slipstitch being the other way round but after a few minutes you forget which way is the usual way! :P

Comment

If you really want to slip stitch in the same direction you can successfully achieve this . Simply leave the curtains , linings interlocked, on the table as you have done; and slip stitch your leading edge left to right as normal. The far leading edge will need to be pinned to hold in place, fold your fabric in half so the linings are facing then fold back the far leading edge then sew pinned leading edge , sew from left to right ,bottom to top!

I think Penny has a photo of this method on her web site.

Penny, can you post the photo pretty please as its your copy right photo!!!

Comment

I'm sure it's much quicker to just stitch the seam in the opposite direction - does it really make a difference to the finish if you don't?
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Nope ! I too have found it makes no difference!
            I sew in opposite directions, but thought I'd give tip as to how incase someone chooses to do the same direction.
            I guess the reasoning being that the lining length stays exactly where it should be when sewing from bottom to top !

Comment

Thank you all very much for your fast and extremely useful replies!

[email protected], I think I can see what you mean, and that would make sense, a bit tricky at first perhaps but I expect I would get the hang of it - might give it a go on the next curtain

Ali I'm scratching my head over your description, I'm sure I'm being daft not seeing what you mean, is there another way of explaining your method?

Pen you are so right about lefthanders I'm sure you're right too that I have misread or misunderstood something, since all you guys seem to have found no problems with slipstitching up one side and down the other - I expect it was something about machine sewing rather than hand sewing. Doh!

Comment

Working...
              X