Double sided door curtain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double sided door curtain

I am going to construct a doublesided door curtain ie. fabric on both sides with interlining in between. My concern is how I should stitch the leading edge joining both fabrics together. I am reluctant to machine them together as one side is Romo Loren ( a silky fabric) & the other is Prestigious Paris ( a cross between towelling & chenile which moves all over the place ). Do I press in the seam allowance on both & lay one on top of other & try and inveisibly slipstitch or lay them out with seams butted together & ladder stitch? Any ideas please...
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Double sided door curtain

I was looking a some bed curtains recently which were interlined with contrast silk on both sides. Although they had possibly machined the sides together before turning, they had left a very small border, about 1 cm of the face fabric on the lining side which looked very nice. I can see why you would be reluctant to machine with such different weights, so I think I would press the seam edges on the lining side and slip stitch them just in from the edge.
    How are you going to do the top? In the case of the bed curtains they had a slotted top, but then were covered with a canopy.
    Janie

Comment

It's over a doorspace between lounge & hallway so a pole is going on the hallway side which poses the next difficulty...The lounge curtains are to be triple pleated probably to pattern so I think the hall side of the curtain will have to be the back side of the triple pleats If you know what I mean..but just typing this I know that will look knaff..I will have to construct it so the pattern is in the spaces so when they push back under the pole from hall side they will be showing the pattern from the room side..hope that all makes sense
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

It may not be a solution for you, but a friend of mine made one very wide curtain which is fitted from the ceiling on two parallel tracks, so it's U-shaped in operation. It acts as a room divider and therefore has the face fabric showing on both sides of the room. The tracks are fitted very close together and the curve of the 'U' becomes in effect the leading edge.

Angie

Comment

If you have M&D Encyclopaedia of Curtains they cover double sided curtains on p130.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I read an article, where the author joined the two fabrics but treated them as one wide curtain, i.e. lined both, and put pinch pleats across both. The curtain was then folded where the two fabrics were joined so that the two sets of pleats hung from one set of rings on the pole. You could do the same with a lightweight interlining.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks to you all..I'll look at the M& D book (hah that used to be my first port of call )
              Thanks Pen this sound a good idea but I'm still concerned about machining those so very different fabrics together
              Regards
              Mairi

Comment

Working...
              X