Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wide fabric

Hi
    i have a pole length of 71 inches customer wanted 5 widths i thought they would be too wide so having 4 widths 2 in each curtain however fabric is 60 inches wide and lining is only 54 inches do i add onto the lining or trim the fabric down to match the lining as thay are going to be plenty full enough never seen fabric at 60 inched wide
    many thanks
    lss

Re: wide fabric

If you are sure you have enough fullness with 2 (lining) drops per curtain, and it will not spoil any pattern on the fabric, then I would trim the fabric to avoid having very narrow extra pieces on the lining.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with Louise. But if you do need the extra width, you can add half a width of lining and then take some off the leading edge, if you see what I mean, so that you don't have a narrow strip.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi
        thank you Louise and Penny
        yes i see that's a great tip if you need wider lining will remember that one for future
        do u think 2 widths would be full enough its a gathered heading not pencil pleat ?
        thank you
        lss

Comment

Hi there, hope I am not confusing things....or maybe I am confused.
          Are you meaning triple pleats?

Pole = 71" x2= 142 pencil pleat 142/60=2 plus but you could get away with it.
          x2.25 or 2.5 pinch pleat = 177 177/60 = >3
          fabric is 60" wide , so for pencil pleat you could get away with a pair of 1 widths. Two widths would be 120" each curtain which is far too much to be pulled up to fit.
          and for triple pleat its a pair of 1.5widths.

As for the wider lining, yes, the best way is to add an extra half width to each panel and lay it in starting at the outside edge of the curtain with the half width. Lose any extra at the leading edge as the curtainmaker suggests.....unless you really have to cut or can cut the fabric back, do it from the leading edge for the same reason as the lining..to avoid funny wee strips.

Hope I have not made matters worse!!

Enid

Comment

Hi Enid
            many thanks for your reply any advise is appreciated i did work for a shop but now on my own (as you can tell with all my queries) the heading isn't triple pleat its a 1 inch gather counrty syle if that makes sense
            thanks
            Lorraine

Comment

If it is something like Rufflette Standard Tape (about 28mm) then they suggest 1.5 - 2 fullness so Enid's calculations still stand.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
              X