Seaming Blackout Lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaming Blackout Lining

Just wondered how you all seam your blackout lining together? I have to put together 6 widths and have had blackout pucker before when seaming through the machine? Any suggestions on how I can avoid this puckering taking place please?
    Yvonne

Re: Seaming Blackout Lining

You have probably already reduced your tension slightly......do you have a walking foot, or a Teflon one, or even a roller foot - to try and make sure the layers feed smoothly?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I always use a Teflon foot with blackout.
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I know, it's a nightmare! I have found that using my domestic machine got the best results (I'm not sure how many feet are available for my particular industrial but will ask the next time I'm in the store!)

One thing I found that helps is buying a double width roll of blackout lining from Evans. It's a monster to store and needs 2 of us to lift it on the table but it makes life so much easier!

Sue

Comment

A walking foot has been a revelation to me in recent months. Although the one for my Bernina was (very) expensive it has removed all that frustration of the top piece ending up longer than the one underneath and the puckering as you go along, although that is more likely to be tension, or the slipping and sticking in one place as you sew.

I tend to use my walking foot on the machine most of the time now whatever I'm sewing.

Comment

I use M&D Trimfix adhesive tape, expensive, but it works for me.

Comment

Hi Joan
              That's a really interesting way to use Trimfix. Can you tell me what you do with it and the blackout please?
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Walking foot for me, too, since I forced myself to learn how to use it! They are scarily expensive though. Mine was given to me by a customer whose husband had bought her a new machine with a built-in one.(She quilts, but won't make curtains. Who am I to complain?) Also good for thermal linings.

Comment

That is interesting - I have the same problems occasionally and it really fustrates me, and sometime will use the domestic machine to do this task. I shall look into a walking foot for me industrial.

Thanks Kathy
                  K W Designs
                  Bournemouth

Comment

I bought my Janome walking foot on ebay, much much cheaper and genuine part
                    Janie

Comment

Thanks everyone - I will have a look for a walking foot although I am intrigued about using the Trimfix to secure before sewing - this sounds like a good technique Joan!
                      Yvonne

Comment

Hi Yvonne

I pin the linings together as I would any other fabrics but make sure I sew over the first pin hole as shown in the picture below - I then iron the join to the side rather than iron open, this prevents light bleed through the sew lines.

Philip

[attachment=0:32h1c3n2]001.JPG[/attachment:32h1c3n2]
                        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I've used narrow double sided tape with great success. I've tried tried trimfix too and it worked well but the double sided did the same job and is much cheaper.
                          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I have used Trimfix (but only for trims) and would say once in place you do not need to sew the seam at all - after 24 hours they claim it is pretty permanent. I would suggest you would simply attach the Trimfix to one edge of the blackout and then lap the edge of the next drop over the tape and press in place.

Is this what you do Joan?

I have a Pfaff with what they call IDT - built-in dual feed - I thoroughly recommend it.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes exactly that. What double sided tape do you used Cat ?

JE

Comment

Working...
                              X