How much to allow at each side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to allow at each side?

I have no idea what this topic should be called, but I'll try and describe my question!

Is there any kind of formula for working out how much you should allow at each side of the window for your curtains when they are fully open? Eg if your window is a metre wide, should you allow 25cm for each opened curtain, or 30cm, or less, or more?

I want my curtains to pull right back clear of the window, so that no light is blocked at all, but I don't want to see any wall between the window frame and the drawn-back curtain - if you see what I mean?

The curtains will be lined and interlined, gathered on simple tape, and hanging from poles. The width of material in the curtains varies between one-and-a-half and two times the width of what I've guessed will be the length of the pole. I'm very unlikely to use tiebacks, so the curtains will hang straight down.

Please tell me if I'm not making sense!

Can anyone help me out with this one?

Re: How much to allow at each side?

If you apply the basic theory that 30% added to the window width is usually sufficient for the stack back, such a formula will ensure uniformity throughout. So, if your window measures 200cm buy a 260cm pole.

Stack back is the term used for the space either side of the window for when curtains in the fully open position.

Hope that helps!

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Wibbley Puppy,

The only thing I would add, when you work out your pole length do not include the finials and brackets as part of the working width.

One other point, I once went to hang some curtains on a pole fitted by the customer, the curtains were made to fit a 2mtr pole which it was, unfortunatly the brackets were fitted 10" in from the end of the poles inline with the edge of the reveal. hence the curtains would not pull off the window
      Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

I've had that problem Dave, with customers putting up their own poles. The most recent was a door curtain, and although the pole was long enough to extend each side, the brackets were fitted level with the door!

Wibble puppy, I allow 1/3 extra on the pole length, so similar to Philip.

Regards
        Pen
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

"Stackback"! I knew there was a proper term. Thanks, Schuhby. And the tip to ensure consistency of stackback makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks also, and to Pen as well, for the 30% rule, I'll run with that

Ouch! the stories of brackets and finials making the usable length of pole shorter than it should be As ever I'll try to profit from the mistakes of others, as well as from my own!

Comment

One final thing - make sure there is a ring at each end between the bracket and the finial so that when you pull the curtain closed the outside edge stays put.....unless it's a door curtain of course!

As a guide, allow one ring per 10cm of pole, plus one if you need an even number of rings for a pair of curtains.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise
              One final thing - make sure there is a ring at each end between the bracket and the finial so that when you pull the curtain closed the outside edge stays put.....unless it's a door curtain of course!
              Absolutely! Thanks for the reminder And thanks also for the guide to how many rings to allow, that's very useful

Comment

Working...
              X