A Smidgen Too Long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Smidgen Too Long!

Hi. I'm sure there won't be an answer to this but it's worth asking, just incase.

I've just finished a pair of heavy velvet curtains, I've had them hanging for three days and it must be the weight of the fabric but they are now a ' smidgen ' too long. ( .5cm. ) I am due to hang them on Friday. Short of unpicking and re-doing the hems does anyone know of any tips to raise them just a little. The heading is pencil pleat on track and will be hung from the bottom pocket , so no room to move them up there.! I know I'm clutching at straws, I just can't face re-doing.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: A Smidgen Too Long!

Hi,
    Just hang them and and keep quiet, maybe the customer wont notice, most dont know what length they should be anyway!
    Louise

Comment

I would leave them for the moment.
      Depending on the "atmospherics" in the house they may well shrink up a bit after they have been hung a while.
      I always tell customers that it is not an exact science and when hung curtains will either get longer, shorter or stay the same.

Cheers,

Phil.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, mmmm not sure, maybe I should just leave leave them. Hopefully, they will not drop any more. Client did not want them sitting on the carpet but just above.
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I'd wait , hang them and see before adjusting. You never know they might be perfect. I never quite know just how curtains spring back, lengthen, remains the same due to atmospheric circumstances! I too say curtain construction is not an exact science and should also carry a government health warning at times relevant to us as the overly worried, pulling your hair out, curtain maker!!

Comment

Thanks Tam, I think I may just leave them and wait and see. I'ts good to know someone as experienced can have the same problems.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Some of the hooks have less of a 'neck' than others, so that might make a little difference, but I defintly wouldn't alter them before I tried them in situ
              Janie

Comment

I do hope it works out ok Cat. I think we have all been there done that and got the T shirt! The trouble is you can never tell just how they will sit in situ as they are made laying flat on the table to get the finished drop. I really wouldnt worry too much, just hang the curtains, and smile say nowt and decide if you are happy to leave then as they are. Your customer may not notice unless you draw attention to the length!

On another note of how finished lengths alter once hung on pencil pleat tape can depend on the quality of the tape used. String pockets are a nightmare on heavier weighted curtain such as velvets and interlined curtains, so I opt to use the tape with stronger woven pockets and 6 lines of hook pockets on the heading tape to allow more option to move the hooks. The best one by far I have found is from Price & Co , its not cheap but it is good.

I have used string pockets on sill length curtains when I first started making curtains~~~big mistake ~~a nightmare when the strings stretch after time and the curtains end up longer after a while ! Another lesson learnt and stored in the grey matter for another day!

Good luck , do keep us posted how it goes ( and a photo if possible lol!)

Comment

A warm, dry centrally heated room will probably cause them to 'shrink' up a bit anyway. You could have been very clever allowing for that so that they don't appear to be to much shorter above the carpet than she wanted!

Comment

Ooh, I love all these. You lot do make me feel better! I think we should blacklist all those customers who have us fiddling round adjusting the screw eyes in the rings on poles to make sure that they are all millimetre perfect - and I've had my share. Instead of stressing us out they ought to get out more, get a life and realise that they're not dying of AIDS, being blown up in Iraq or short of something to eat in the Third World. They're lucky enough to have a nice life, with nice curtains made by nice people like us! End of!!

Jackie

Comment

I hope you feel better now you've gotten that off your chest, Jackie! LOL!

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I feel a lot better now and I will just leave them. Just as you say Jackie, a lot more important things going on. I shouldn't pander to someone who is fussing over the last millimetre !!

Tam - I've used a good quality woven tape, it has proper strong cords but just has 3 pockets. Didn't know you could get 6 pockets, something else learned!
                        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Sorry for the rant ... I must have been hungry!!!

Jackie

Comment

Working...
                          X