Farmhouse door curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmhouse door curtains

Hi! I'm new to the forum, looking for advice on the best way to make door curtains for the house I've recently bought - an ancient run-down farmhouse in rural Wales with no heating except an open fire, and doors which fit where they touch (the front door is more hole than door). We are "camping" this winter, bed and all, in the big downstairs room, which is the room with the fire. Interlined curtains are quicker and cheaper than new doors and windows! Five doors are the top priority; three of those are used a fair amount, and the curtains will be drawn to and fro, often in a hurry, several times a day; the other two are doors to rooms which are basically shut up for the winter.

I've bought plenty of mid-to-heavy-weight face fabric, and the same amount of thick interlining and of thermal lining, plus some standard 3” header tape. The idea is for the curtains to be functional and informal-looking. Facilities available are the ancient domestic sewing machine, and smallish living room floor, at a mate's house. I'm a rank amateur, having made one or two pairs of curtains before but not interlined.

Having scoured the forum for all the information I can find (very helpful, and MUCH more informative than the couple of books available to me) I have a couple of questions.

Should I interlock the interlining to the lining as well as to the face fabric?

Should I use weights?

I’ll be very grateful for any advice or words of wisdom!

wibble puppy

Re: Farmhouse door curtains

It is usual to interlock the lining in place - usually at the seams and half widths minimum. If you are under pressure for time, you could skip that step on the rarely used doors.

For the rarely used doors you might want to make the curtains over-long so that they puddle on the floor and act as a draught excluder too. For the other three you have hopefully found the recent discussion about portieres and poles for doors - if you search using the word portiere they will pop up.

Let us know how you get on.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Wibbly Puppy,

I agree with Louise, portiere rods are ideal for regularly used doors as they are attached to the door, and open and close with the door, and they have the neat action of lifting the rod and hence the curtain as you open the door, so the curtain can be made to touch the floor and reduce the draughts, plus the most important thing is it's okay when you open the door from the other side, where as a curtain closed on the other side of a pole or track will not make openning the door easy.

Regards
      Dave
      Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Louise
        It is usual to interlock the lining in place
        Thanks for the advice - I'll aim to do that, then

For the rarely used doors you might want to make the curtains over-long so that they puddle on the floor and act as a draught excluder too.
        Yes, I had planned to make the curtains with a bit of a puddle - it's essential for them to be as effective as possible because the draughts are copious and icy

For the other three you have hopefully found the recent discussion about portieres and poles for doors - if you search using the word portiere they will pop up.
        Thanks very much (and to pelmetman as well ) I found this thread: http://my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f...hilit=portiere - I didn't know about portiere rods before, they look to be an excellent solution! I can't afford to put them on all the doors, but it would be perfect to have one on the outside door, as it opens inwards so I can't put the curtain on the non-opening side. Are these rods suitable for pretty heavy curtains?

Comment

Hi WP and welcome.

Will you keep these curtains once your renovations are complete or are they just to stop the blood from freezing in your veins for this winter???

If they are for emergency use I wouldn't go to the lengths of locking in linings and interlinings. I might even use the loose interlining method that's been mentioned. Speed sounds important.

BUT if you're intending to keep them then the methods already described and portiere rods are the way to go. Hope you have a hot water bottle!

Wishing you a mild winter. Please do tell how you came up with your forum name - I am mega intrigued!!!!

Comment

Just a further thought, as someone who has renovated old properties before in the state you are describing, I would buy some old blankets and a few nails which will do the same job until you can do the job properly.
            Our last house was very old, leaves used to blow in through our bedroom windows when they were shut!
            Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Yes portiere rods will take the weight.
              Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Originally posted by pelmetman
                Just a further thought, as someone who has renovated old properties before in the state you are describing, I would buy some old blankets and a few nails which will do the same job until you can do the job properly.
                Our last house was very old, leaves used to blow in through our bedroom windows when they were shut!
                That's kinda what I was thinking......

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                  Will you keep these curtains once your renovations are complete or are they just to stop the blood from freezing in your veins for this winter???
                  Hi Jules and thank you for the welcome I think the renovation will take a while, and even when it's done I have a feeling that the house will probably always be cold and draughty. I just might keep these curtains!

Please do tell how you came up with your forum name - I am mega intrigued!!!!
                  Lol it's from The Simpsons - Ralph Wiggum is rushing round in tiny circles barking to himself - Marge is concerned and asks if he is ok - his dad explains he is playing with his invisible friend Wibble Puppy

Originally posted by pelmetman
                  Yes portiere rods will take the weight.
                  That's a great idea. I might do that for the doors which hopefully will eventually not need nice door curtains over them

Thanks for the info about the weight on the portiere rods. I'll definitely have to investigate the idea further.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification (from a simpsons dimwit). I daren't tell you what we we thinking.... . Shows how naive we are.

Comment

I daren't tell you what we we thinking.... . Shows how naive we are.
                      Ooh now I am really intrigued! Do tell me!!

Comment

Might have to pm you! lol.

Comment

*is agog*

I have another quick question about these curtains:

Should the lines of interlocking between the lining and interlining correspond with the lines of interlocking between the interlining and face fabric, or should they be staggered, or does it not matter?

wibble

Comment

I tend to line 'em up.....

Comment

Might I make a suggestion if your curtains are to be over long - I'd suggest you turn under the hem of the lining by 1cm and slip stitch to the hem of the face fabric across the widths rather than use a conventional hem. The lining and hem line should take into consideration the amount of fabric that falls overlong.

Philip
                              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X