Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too thick Goblets?

Good morning to you all

I have just settled down to finish making Goblet pleat interlined curtains and am now at my wits end with them. They are thick as it is chenile fabric with interlining, buckram and blackout lining. I have a Bernina machine but try as I might it doesn't seem to want to go through the buckram. I am using a new 16 needle. I have tried lowering the feeddog as the under stitch was all rucked up but this hasn't helped. Does anyone have any ideas that would solve my problem? I also have a grotty head cold, which I know isn't as bad as man flu but I still feel yuk!!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated before I take the scissors to them (lol)

Happy Christmas to you all

Regards
    Susie

Re: Too thick Goblets?

A denim needle?

Comment

For years I have used a bernina domestic machine and it was a real problem with really thick material and I used to end up turning the wheel by hand. I often fine that the first pleat is the most difficult so you might find if you can do that one by hand then you may be able to machine the rest.
      I don't know where abouts you are based but people are vey friendly and helpful and you might fine that someone would let you use their industrial machine for the heading if you were local to them.
      I am so pleased to now have a Janome semi proffesional, it was a great investment and I still use the bernina for some jobs as the other one is just straight stitch.
      janie

Comment

ladies, thank you for your suggestions, I shall try the denim needle and turning the wheel by hand to see if that gets me anywhere.
        Susie

Comment

I have had this problem once with a very thick interlined velvet. What I ended up doing was using a denim needle . I also found that when I turned pin to pin to form the pleats I pressed ,quite heavily, the folded pleat where the stiches would be sewn with the iron ( no steam or it'll shrink the chenille and avoid the edge of the fold) and pressed it as flat as I could, whilst still warm put it through as I would do normally! No idea why this worked but I was nearly in tears when it worked it was such a relief!!! I machine stitched from the base of the pleat to the top with the weight of the curtain on the table too.

I do hope that helps you and that your head cold gets better soon

Comment

Poor you Susie! I have had this problem too with my domestic due to bulky headings and have been in tears! I was also worried to death about wrecking my machine as it's a lovely Janome 6500P. As I've no room for an industrial I took the plunge and bought a Pfaff Grand Quilter as it was a bit cheaper than the Janome 1600P that Janie has. I really am THRILLED TO BITS with it. It has more clearance between the bed and the foot and is much more powerful. If you are anywhere near to me you're more than welcome to put your curtains through my machine.

Comment

Hi Susie,

I have an industrial machine which probably will not help you, unless your in Lincolnshire, but if anyone near by wants to use it their welcome to

It's very powerful as I discovered a few years ago when I machined my finger don't ask me how I managed it!

Regards
              Dave
              Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Hi
                i have had this problem too but mostly with fusible buckram, I now only use the sew in type for pinch pleats etc. Somehow the needle doesnt seem to like the glue on the buckram, I have found, which makes the problems worse. hope this helps.
                Helen

Comment

Just shows that sometimes the oldies are the best - my ancient Singer semi-industrial will go through most things, and like Dave I managed to sew through my left hand index finger a few years back! I was having a bit of a tough time, was stressed with the same thing as Susie, and I was snowed under as it was about this time of year. I can laugh about it now, but can still remember dashing across the road to my 80-year old neighbour, who very calmly pulled the needle out with a pair of pliers and then administered tea and a hug! (She drove an ambulance in the war, so that was chicken feed!) I try to remember to keep my hands out of the way now ...

Jackie

Comment

I've done that, too, just beside the nail. It's always when you've nearly finished something difficult, because you are tired, I suppose. My DNA is at ceiling height all over the city.

Comment

I've done it too Nic just beside the nail. It doesn't hurt straight away, but boy is it painful afterwards..... for days! I have done it twice too.
                      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thank you all sooooo much for the advice and making me laugh. I resorted to turning the wheel by hand and then very slowly used the foot pedal. It has been a laborious task but got there in the end.
                        Thank you all once again.
                        Susie

Comment

Working...
                        X