Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Curtains with satin lining!?!??!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Curtains with satin lining!?!??!!?

Hi Everyone
    Oh my god I have had a request, the fabric is coming today, gave the client a quote on my charges per width for making up and black fabric with black satin lining is arriving today!!!! Any tips???? I did say I have never made anything with a satin lining before, but hey ho they don't listen.

Lady also asked me what my charges were and was insistant that there would be no other charges, so advised her last night that the 1 width of curtain she wanted for each curtain which she advised me was 100'' was in fact two widths and I would charge accordingly so in effect 4 widths in a pair of curtains !!!! Keep up..... I got her confused and then she asked me why I would be charging her for heading tape and penny weights!?!?!?!?!!? Oh dear, dare I start this one or make sure she understands what she is going to pay???

Made sure she knows that they won't be ready for christmas I can tell you, I have pinch pleats to do and cushion covers for a penthouse flat and I am not doing anything more after the end of the month. My work room is turning into a craft room/wrapping station and card writing place.

Moan over
    regards
    smileyxx

Re: Black Curtains with satin lining!?!??!!?

Sounds a nightmare! No doubt about it some customers at the moment are questioning every bit of cost. If I hear one more time ' I could make them up myself really but just don't have the time ' I will screeeam!!

I am interested in the satin lining. I'm looking for that very thing to co-ordinate on a bed throw. Can I ask where you get yours from?
    Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi Cat
      I am sorry, customers own, god knows, I am just worried it is going to be a nightmare even to seam up as I have a feeling cost is a big thing with them and client was adamant that I was wrong about the width and my charges, but hey ho, think I will be sending her a little estimate online, so she is aware what to expect as I am certainly not making them for nothing, what with all that effort!!!

Yes I too hate that I could run them up myself!!!! I made a roman blind once for a so called colleague at work, went round to hang it and the wonderful husband had not put the batten up, his words when I delivered and asked for payment were '' It can't be that difficult it's only a blind'' I have heard nothing since!!!

people are just so uncomplimentary of our skills and talents, I am very thankfull that I also have lots of friend and clients who are more than happy to sing my praises so very thankfull for that, the others can disappear into oblivian as far as I am concerned, life is too short to stress

smileyx

Comment

Sorry, I can't give any advice on working with satin lining, never used it before. What is the face fabric, do you think the satin will ' work ' with it o.k?

You have to charge what you have to charge. They may well be the type to also complain if everything is not 'just so' when the job is completed. So the extra work that is required in working with this type of fabric would have to reflect in your price.

Good luck!
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Never had to make black curtains but have made a long white pair which was stressful......

Having had my fingers burnt in the past I never give prices without measurements....although there are always customers who try and press you. Once off the phone/at home I try and do the calculations quietly......that gives me the chance to review the job and hopefully make sure I charge appropriately for anything out of the ordinary (including using customer's own fabric, urgent jobs, customer's who 'could run them up themselves' etc. )
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Ditto to all above.
            Smiley I'd run a mile from that job - to me that customer will be a nightmare - there are just some people you cannot satisfy and I'd say she's going to be one of them. Yes life is too short - get out now if you can and enjoy Chrismas
            Ursula

Comment

That's interesting Louise and Ursula. I normally, after measuring etc. like to go home, sit down with a cup of tea, and go over everthing, then send out a quote.

However, last week after doing just that, client phoned me to say could I come along again and re-measure as instead of having full length on one of the smaller windows, she would like them to be sill length. I was there for ages, aware of the time, as I had someone else to see.
              So, as this was my second visit I was keen for confirmation and cheque deposit and she was pressing me for a revised price there and then.

I referred to the copy of the quote I had in my folder, which had the price for 7widths. ( which was my recommendation for fullness ) and for 6widths. which she originally wanted to have. I made a really stupid mistake, I revised the quote for 6widths instead of 7.
              I am so annoyed with myself, I will just have to put it done to experience.
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Cat, I always take measurements of everything and record them onto a form - window width and height, wall space each side, above, below, hook drops to sill and floor, etc. If the client then changes her mind at to what is needed, I rarely have to go back.

Smiley, I always include the cost of the smaller materials as part of the making up cost, so don't show them separately. In fact, I now just quote a 'per window' or even a 'per room' cost. I can always give a breakdown if it is asked for. But the client is really only interested in the total they have to pay.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Would it be possible to post us an example of your form Pen? I have always wanted to make them up but there are so many details that I haven't found a good way of making up a form
                  Janie

Comment

Janie,
                    I will pm you a copy
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Janie - do you have M&D Encyclopaedia of Curtains? They have an example on p109.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X