Pleat in border?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleat in border?

I am making a 2 width pair of pinch pleat dress curtains. They have a border of 20 cm on the leading edges, which has a tulip pattern on it and a braid on the inside edge of the border. Should I do a pinch pleat in the border or leave it flat? My inclination is to do a pleat otherwise it will be such a wide flat piece, but will it look odd?
    Janie

Re: Pleat in border?

I think it depends on ....the size of the tulip, the size of the pleats that you will be making, and the size that you would usually make the leading edge, the amount of space that has been allowed for the dress curtains and the finished drop of the curtains. I agree that 20cms is big but if you normally make a 5cm leading edge, that leaves 15 cms for the pleat. As they are dress , you could make the pleats smaller which could allow a whole pleat within the border....keeping away from the inset trim. As the curtain drops down, they could also be dressed to make the trim fall flat . Actually the more I think about it , its worth doing and could look very effective......but its up to you Janie, its your job.

Enid

Comment

Thanks for that Enid, what you are saying sounds great but there is only 17.5cm of border and then the braid. So if I leave say 5 cm overlap then I have only 12.5 to pleat with and the border is in quite a heavy tapestry type fabric and its interlined and I want to do triple pleat so I will need to use more fabric in the pleat. I think what I will have to do is allow about 18cm for the pleat and then I will lose the braid inside the pleat. Looking at it I think it will look odd if I leave 20cm overlaps. Its not ideal but agreed with the customer that we would have 2 tulipsin the width of each border. They are floor length by the way.
      Trouble is I have to go and do the pleating tonight after I have done supper, having worked on it all day cos they are going out in the morning. Woe is me! And my back aches......boo hoo
      Janie

Comment

Hi Janie,

Do you have the fabric with you yet? Any chance of a photo for the dopey ones (I'm at the front of the dopey queue!) amongst us who have to 'see' fabrics to understand the question?

Comment

Have just taken photo but can't find way to attach it, I'm dopey too!
          Sorry to have winged earlier, but have had enough of work for the day
          Janie

Comment

If you want to email it to me I'll have a go for you..... though I do it wrong v often, lol.

Comment

Sounds as though you have had enough for the day, but finshed they must be by tonight!!
              As the curtains are dress, then there should be no need for overlap, so I think that you would be fine going with your own suggestions. Thick fabric plus interlining often causes problems, but the braid could be tucked into the pleat and teased out again down the length of the drop.

good luck,

Enid

Comment

Well they are done, finished at 10pm last night.
                In the end I pinned in the pleats to see how they looked both ways and I decided to leave the border flat and just pleat the main body of the fabric. If I had pleated in the border then 2 of the pleat folds would have been in the beige colour of the tapestry fabric and the other fold in the lilac and I didn't think it looked great. Will try and take a picture of them on my worktop and see if I can post it through, but thank you Enid and Jules for your help.
                Janie

Comment

Well done you Janie!!!! Not bad for a girl who was giving up earlier in the evening. It sounds as though you did the best thing by comparing both options and going with the most asthetically (sp) pleasing one - would be wiser to have said 'most pleasing to the eye', lol.

I would love to see a pic of them finished.

Bet your customer will be thrilled!

Comment

She was thrilled, but unfortunatly she came to collect them at 9.30am so I didn't get to photo the finished result due to time wasting on decozo! Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted, but perhaps I should prioritise better. I usually hang curtians myself, but they live rather a long way from here, infact not that far from Pennys, so that's why she collected them. She said she would send a photo so maybe you will see them in the future.
                    Its so good to be able to mull over problems with others, I am sure that is why decozo is so sucessful and enjoyable
                    Bye for now
                    Janie

Comment

Working...
                    X