Help Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please!!

Hi, I am working on a double width door curtain - silk taffeta/interlined with straight boxed pelmet.

I have been asked for pencil pleat tape heading to be used and as I have brought the interlining to the top of the pencil pleat it's made the heading much to bulky, both for the stackback and for the depth of the pelmet which could only be 7cm. return due to lack of available space.

I am wondering if I should cut the interlining to just below the tape - would that would work?? I wouldn't normally do this, I always take the interlining level to to the top of the curtain when I'm using buckram ( this is the first time I've interlined using pencil pleat tape.)

As I knew too much bulk would be an issue I've used 220grm. Sarrill. Any help would be appreciated - due to be fitted tomorrow morning!!

Cat
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Help Please!!

Well I definatly wouldn't cut the interlining off below the tape as I think it would probably drop in time and then you may be called back. I think I would cut it off so that the bottom line of tape stitching holds it in place. Although this may help slightly they are going to be bulky as they are interlined, but presumably they are there for insulation and so if that is what the customer wants then she has to be prepared to compromise. Perhaps suggest a tie back?
    Good luck
    Janie

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Janie. That's my feeling too, by cutting the interlining below the tape I would be taking away the support. I've made a tieback, so that will help in the body of the curtain to hold it back. My problem is the top, I need to reduce the bulk at the top in some way as the pelmet has such a narrow return/depth. I originally suggested a Portiere Rod but the client wants a pelmet to disguise an ugly area above the door and as there is already a track fixed they wanted to use it.

Cat
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

couldn't you use the very narrow tape rather than pencil? Or hand pinch pleat it which won't matter so much if it shows below and will stack back much mor neatly than pencil.

Comment

Oh dear,

I think the issue with the bulk isnt going to be resloved either way. Pencil pleats that are interlined do bulk up.

I would probably ring the clinet , explain the situation, and suggest a double pleat heading wioth a very small pleat as Janie suggests. Fit the curtains so they underhang the track so the space folds to the back. It will look much sleeker. You may even loose some of the width in the fabric , which will also help with the bulk issue.

Whether you charge for the pinch pleat, rather than the pencil pleat, and put it down to experience is entirely your choice~unless after speaking to the client he/she doesnt mind paying the extra of course!

Let your client make the decision
          good luck

Comment

You need to use a pocket tape with a wider space between the hooks - You can buy it with 3cm and 3.5cm between pockets giving it a larger pleat and less bulk. What is the space between your pockets Cat?
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you for your replies -

Janie and Tam - I'm still pondering on your advice at the moment as to what will be the best solution- better get my skates on 'tho and make a decision - so much to do today !!!

Philip - I'm using Platinum Ultimate Tape for 2.5 fullness, 3.5 space between pockets.

Cat
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Can you reduce the fullness of the curtains?
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you Guys for your advice - All is well, the curtain is now stacking back as I wanted.

Used a combination of things - Trimmed the interlining back to the first row of stitching and cut back the width a bit to reduce some of the bulk. I was a bit worried that there would be visible bulky line at the base of the tape but the fabric is very forgiving and it looks fine. I think it also helped that the pencil tape did what I wanted it to do and was no problem to pleat. Phew!!

Cat
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Well done Cat glad it has worked out well
                    Janie

Comment

Working...
                    X