Bay Window Pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Window Pole

I'm keen to start a pair of lined triple-pleat bay window curtains, but am hesitating as the pole hasn't yet been made. The blacksmith has provided measurements and bracket projection, and I've worked out the following, based on Schuhby's notes

Pole 422cm, bracket projection 11cm

15 spaces of 15cm each
    16 pleats of 17cm each

11cm return, 14cm springback, 4cm overlap

I think the sensible answer is to start joining widths in both fabric and lining, hem both, and wait until the pole is in place - would I be mad to start pleating or am I being over-cautious? I've been putting this off for a couple of days and have been working on the lining instead

Words of wisdom needed please!

Angie

Re: Bay Window Pole

If the blacksmith is making the pole, it will be to the length specified so you know how wide the curtains need to be. You should be fine.

I'm more likely to wait until a pole is in place so as to confirm the finished drop.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks, Pen. We've allowed generous amounts on the drop, so I'm happy to start cutting when I've got the linings out of the way.

Angie

Comment

The pole is being fitted today, so I can restart these soon. I'm thinking of making them with the buckram fused to the fabric above the top of the curtain, folded over, and the lining hand stitched near the top of the curtain over the face fabric, so there will only be a few cm of face fabric visible at the top on the wrong side.

I've not made them this way before, but it seems sensible to measure the face fabric for the finished drop, press into place and attach the buckram before I attach the linings. There would be a lot less fabric, and therefore weight, to lug around. Do those of you who use this method think that will work? I imagine I'll need to herringbone the face fabric 'flap' to the WS of the face fabric to keep everything straight.

If I'm missing something obvious please let me know; it seems an easy way of saving my arm muscles!

Angie

Comment

Hi Angie
          I am not sure if your curtain is interlined as well, but if it is only lined, then I would cover the bucram with some interlining first to make the top look softer. I use fusible bucram and have the interlining level with the bottom of the bucram and I bring the interlining over the top of the bucram by about 3 or 4 cm and I press it to the bucram on the wrong side so to speak. I then measure up from the finished hem line and bring the face fabric over the top of the bucram and press it to the wrong side so that it is about half way down and sticks to the bucram below the interlining. I then put lining in place and as you say fold over about 1 cm from top of curtain, pres that in place and then hand stitch along the top. Hope you can understand this garbled explanation and that if helps.
          janie

Comment

Hi Janie

I think I am more or less doing what you normally do. These curtains are just lined. I intend to sew the lining to the face fabric at the top, but as the buckram will only be fused to a flap of face fabric that's not showing at the front, I thought I'd better herringbone the 'spare' folded over fabric to the back of the face fabric, to keep the top of the curtain in place.

Hope this makes sense to you as it looks a bit garbled to me, and I wrote it...........

Angie

Comment

The top will be held in place when you make the pleats won't it? Or have I misunderstood?

If you are worried about it slipping while forming the pleats you could tack stitch across first........
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

When you stitch across the top of the lining at the top of the curtain, you do not need to go through to the buckram on each stitch, every third/ fourth one will do and use a cotton thread..I find the buckram snags normal thread. As Louise says, the pleats will also hold the top in place.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                X