Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric in the middle of the curtains

Hi

Can you help, i have attached some photos of curtains i am making, i am pleating by design which is fine but when i come to compare the middle of the curtain they do not match? Should they always match or am i being stupid?
    They are exactly the same size but the right curtain would need to be at least another 3 cm longer to match up with the left side, which would make my leading edge on the right side 10cm and the leading edge on the left 7cm.
    I know you will not see this when you pull them together because of the overlap.

These curtains are not made up yet i am just playing with them before making up as the client does not have the poles up yet.

Is this acceptable to have them looking like this or not?

Ally

[attachment=1:12yfcc6i]match.JPG[/attachment:12yfcc6i][attachment=0:12yfcc6i]IMG_8151.JPG[/attachment:12yfcc6i]
    Ally

Re: Fabric in the middle of the curtains

Hi Ally

I think sometimes that when fabric is cut it releases the tension in the weave and therefore the pattern matching length. Have you "rested" the fabric overnight? That sometimes helps. Sometimes ironing one side and not the other makes the fabric shrink/stretch? Have you snipped the selvedges??

If none of those issues are the problem, then my guess would be you have to do what you can given the pattern match.

Start the pattern match from the bottom to the top. You are not going to see the difference in the pattern match too badly at the top as its the heading turnover. If at all possible,follow the pattern along the bottom for the hem line. Ignore the pattern at the top and measure at regular intervals the finished curtain drop , turning over the heading along the pins. Then try and set your pleats/space so the join of the fabric is to the side of a pleat, not smack in the middle of a space, which will show the joins and be more obvious when the curtains are drawn.

It will be less obvious if the pattern goes out at the top than the bottom.

Others may have a different way of combatting the problem that I might be missing.

I was once told, curtain making is not an exact science......and they were right!

Good luck

Comment

Sorry i have not made myself clear, i have pattern matched the fabric no problems.

It is the coming together of the fabrics once they are made up, ie the left and right being pulled together and the middle not matching then, does that make sense?

Ally
      Ally

Comment

Ally I just did a big post but lost it as got logged out. I got the idea you're talking width not length.

Did you take the right amount off leading/back edge when preparing your flat curtain?

Comment

Ally,
          Unless I've misread what you're doing, I think the problem is that you are planning to construct pleats which come at the same point of every vertical pattern, meaning that the spaces either side of the two leading edges are different. I don't think you can do this successfully, and I'd therefore the pattern and put your pleats where you normally would. Might have completely got the wrong end of the measuring stick ..??!
          Jackie

Comment

If you're setting your pleats according to the horizontal pattern then you should work the pleat position first and then cut the fabric accordingly, this will often mean chopping off a lot of fabric and wasting it. You can often use up to 3 times track width when pleating to pattern.

Philip
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Can you be sure that the pattern is absolutely symmetrical, and that it is placed/created 100% accurately on the fabric width? If not, then the pattern will not meet exactly when you 'close' the curtains edge to edge. When you joined the drops to create the panel was there the same sized seam allowance on each piece of fabric to get the pattern to match?

I think this is one of those things we worry about and that customers would never notice (some of them even if we pointed it out to them).
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi

If you look at the photo, i am trying to pleat from the 1 stem to the other stem ( which are different )with the flower in the middle. The only way i can see pleating differently is from 1/2 flower to the other 1/2 flower , would that work?

My pleat are 17.3 wide with space of 19.
                Ally

Comment

Sorry Ally, Tam makes mental note to read posts at least 4 times, absorb the info then reply

Sorry blonde moment ( plenty of those going on at at the moment~btw ~when do blonde moments become senior moments and will I ever notice the transition between the two )

Comment

Blonde moments coming out of a bottle ... What will they think of next!
                    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

19cm is a huge, wide, space!
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison
                      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                      X