Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with suedette!!

Hi there everyone...

I finally seem to be getting somewhere with my little business and start getting orders through a shop....when they go & give me 15metres of a suedette type fabric!! Do you clever bunch know which way the pile should run - up or down? Also should I make them like normal curtains with a double hem and weights? I am worried the weights will show through and make it all too bulky!?! I am guessing I shouldn't iron anywhere and just try and hand or roller press seams and hems. And they are eyelets which are a first aswell but I have managed samples of the Jupiter rings so will be using them....cannot yet justify a lovely press!! I feel it is a big test for me and I really could do with this business!! Any tips appreciated!!
    Thankyou in advance and anticipation..........
    Natalie

Re: Help needed with suedette!!

With all pile fabrics have the pile running down - think that it if runs up, it will be a dust trap. You can press the seams open if you put a piece of cardboard under the seam allowance and using the tip of the iron, so no impression is made on the right side. Try a sample first to check. Make them the same way as ordinary curtains - the weights won't really create bulk.

I don't know if anyone else has any suggestions.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I would just say that if you are making for a shop and feel unsure about something , ie the way of the pile, just go back to them and check out how they would like it so that it is their problem and not yours. I say this from experience of working in a shop - we had fabric made up on the wrong side and the wrong way up etc. The curtain makers weren't stupid but with some fabrics its not always obvious and better to check if in doubt.
      Janie

Comment

Hi faux suede is a horrible fabric to work with ,sometimes its hard to get a needle through it ,we have made several curtains up in this fabric although it dosent seem so popular nowadaYS THANK GOODNESS
        i tend to overlock along the bottom edge and then fold up the hem once and herringbone stitch along the hem this way it sits flatter if you turn it twice it has a tendancy to roll
        i agree that you should consult the shop about the direction of the nap they are responsible for sorting that out (,i always make this fabric with the smooth pile running down )
        hope this helps good luck

Comment

Yes, that's a good idea. Always get the shop to mark the fabric right side and top. Then it's not your problem!
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Not sure if you would treat suedette as you would velvet. I made velvet curtains recently and ran the pile so that when you stroke the velvet from the hem up to the heading it felt as though you are smoothing the pile in the correct way. It seems having the pile running this way adds lustre and richness to the colour. I also ironed open the seams but used a special ironing mat for velvet when doing this. I then herringbone stitched all the seams to keep them from curling. The hems I overlocked and only had one turn up, I then herringbone stitched so there was no bulk. I also made sure to sew each width in the same direction. Customer was thrilled with them, but velvet is hard work and I wouldn't wish to get too many customers looking for velvet. I got lots of help from Philip and from the Home Furnishings Work Book by Maureen Whitemore
            Ursula

Comment

Thankyou all for your advice.

Decided to go back and ask the shop....they did not really mind which way it was!!! Has made me realise to get the 'customer' to mark top and face of fabric in future though....saves any mistakes. So I cut out all the fabric widths and then started on the lining. All went well untill hubby spoke to me on the last cut of the lining and have gone and cut it too short!!!! At least it was just the lining and can be replaced!!!

I love this site!! Trouble is, I am spending far too much time reading all the posts when I really should be sewing!
              Natalie

Comment

Working...
              X