Blackout curtains & triple pleat valance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout curtains & triple pleat valance

I have tried looking through forum in answer to my question but can't seem to find it.
    I'v never worked with blackout on curtains before. I think someone wrote in saying they take the blackout to the very edge of the curtain and then fold the edge of the curtain over that, is that right. Also I read not to hem the blackout,( or have I made that Up)
    Not sure how to handle the length as well, the drop is 250cm I would normally pin the lining as I went along but with blackout dont want to make lots of pin holes.
    Would it also be right to use same lining on triple pleat valance, would it take the pleats.
    Sorry so many questions just can't get my head around the best way to make them up.

Kind Regards

Irene

Re: Blackout curtains & triple pleat valance

Hi,
    I would take the blackout to the edge of the curtain. Fold over your normal side allowance, press if you usually do, and take the blackout to that egde. Fold over the allowance half and half again and stitch as normal. When you do the corner, mitre as usual, stitch halfway up and you will be able to slide the blackout in and carry on. As for hems, well I suppose it would depend on the job and the quality of the blackout lining, the last one that I did was hemmed as normal, I would rather do it that way, but others may differ. The valance should be fine with normal lining as it will sit above and over the curtain and the blackout should be enough on the curtains, and triple pleats might be tricky and thick, again depending on the quality of the blackout and the thickness of the fabric. A good blackout lining can press over the pin marks, there is no way round this, you do have to pin, but maybe try to keep them to a minimum, and down at the bottom / near to the top where things are gathered up.
    Hope this helps,
    Enid

Comment

There is a school of thought that says you should use blackout on valances, to stop any 'shadows' from hems etc showing through the face of the valance. I think I would be inclined to anyway, just to keep the whole finished look the same.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you Enid and Pen

Feel a lot more confident now in tackling this job.

Although for the same customer she has a window 5mtrs wide x 3mtrs high she wants doing in the new year definatly will need help with that one later....

Regards

Irene

Comment

Working...
        X