Urgent - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - Help Please

I have a new client who insists she wants me to make triple pleat curtains. She tells me her previuos lady managed to cover a pole of 127cm with two widths of fabric. She does not allow for springback and wants returns and overlaps of 6cm.

I CAN'T make this work to have smaller spaces than pleats.... am I doing something wrong? Surely there isn't enough fabric........ She insists 2 x fullness is quite enough for triple pleats.

Re: Urgent - Help Please

Hi Jules
    I had a quick calculate and I make it about 10.8cm for pleats and 16 cm spaces if using 5 pleats. There clearly isnt enough fabric even if you were to do double pleats. She must be wrong about the widths or else her previous curtains must have looked dreadful. Personally as it isn't the world's biggest job I would tell her that you are unable to make curtains that clearly have insufficient fabric as it would compromise your standards. You could perhaps do eyelets or unheaded curtains that look like 'wave' curtains with 1 width in each.
    Good luck with it and remember that people who are that 'tight' don't usually change so any future work would probably be a battle too.
    Janie

Comment

Hi Jules,
      I worked it out roughly on 4 pleats per width and the pleats would be around 15.6cm & the spaces at 16.8cm. The exact sizes are dependant on your finished flat width. Not ideal sizes but if the customer insists! If you do decide to take the job then make it clear that you wouldn't normally do triple pleats with this amount of fabric. However, If you are not happy about taking on the job then I wouldn't do it. The customer does sound like she could be trouble! Are you able to look at the previous curtains?

Comment

Thank you so much ladies, you've made me feel much better! She seems to want to skimp on quantities for her other windows too so not sure I'll be going any further with her..... In the words of the song, "There may be trouble ahead....." don't you think?

At the end of the day, do I want to put my name to 'mean looking' curtains? Maybe not.

Comment

Sounds like a customer to avoid. Possibly a daft question but I presume the fabric widths the previous curtains were made from are 137cm wide not some odd extra wide fabric?
          Jane

Comment

I wouldn't like to put my name to them as she isn't going to explain her 'meaness' to friends and so they then may think you're not good and we know differently!
            Janie

Comment

You couldn't add a wide contrast leading edge band like the lovely ones in Penny's workroom, could you Jules?
              Rosannagh

Comment

Hi Ladies,

Thanks again. Yes, the curtains in Penny's room are fab with those contrast bands but that is not really what she wants.

I think it all boils down to the fact that she wants triple pleats from a max of 2 x fullness and I want at least 2.25 or even 2.5 - more too if pleating to pattern!!!

Would anyone else make triple pleats from 2 x fullness??????

Comment

Hi Jules,
                  I have just completed my double pleat silk curtains they were on a 180 pole with a 10cm return. With only 1and a half widths. I will post a picture when I hang them next week. It really depends on how much work she is going to give you and if you want to take instructions from her!!!!

Sophie

Comment

Thank you Sophie, I would love to see them. Are you pleased with them? I don't mean the make, as I'm sure that's perfect!

Comment

Hi Jules I am pleased with them not perfect amount of fabric to work perfect pleats but I think they will look good in the proportions of the room. Will post a photo when I get home and hang them.

Comment

In the M&D fabric calculator it says that 2x fullness is for tape headings and that hand made headings need 2.25x fullness. For anything more like pleating to pattern then 2.5x fullness is required.
                        When calculating for handmade headings in my workroom we use 2.5x fullness,
                        I would be really interested to know what everyone else does? Surely it is not possible with 2x fulllness.
                        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi there Penny,
                          I too, would always use 2.50 times fullness for pinch-pleats, (sometimes more)
                          Kind regards, Helen

Comment

Always 2.5 times fullness when quoting, then I work out the flat curtain required before making it. 2.5 times just means that there is enough fabric without having to waste time, brain and stress trying to make them fit!
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi there

I seem to have the same problem as you Jules...I make for a shop, and one of their clients is insisting on a pair of triple pleat curtains. The pole is 150cm and they only want 1 width in each curtain (they say this is what they already have)! This is going to make a very stingy heading!! The fab(140cm wide) is here on my table staring at me with a beautiful appliqued pattern, but I cannot really think about placement too much as there is not much to work with! I am going to make the side turnings as small as poss, but my pleats will only be between 11.5-13cm.....I am going to see if they can persuade them to have double pleats??? My finished width needs to be 85cm ish to allow for return and overlap....and I am allowing 4 pleats...any help on calculations greatly received!!!

Thanks
                              Natalie
                              Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X