Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall hook for return

Hi All,
    I have curtains finished (triple pleat) total width before I pleated was 155" (sorry still imperial)
    Each curtain has return 5"
    12 pleats x 7.5" = 90
    11 spaces x 5" = 55
    overlap 5" 5

total 155"

Each finished curtain is 65"

The 10ft pole is being cut to fit above. the width of the window is 96" and the clients old pole was aprox 116" Looking at the curtains hanging in my sewing room, I think the return and the ovelap is too big. Would I be right in thinking I can put a pin hook on the return about 2" and bring 3" back to the wall? Have never brought the curtain to the wall before so need to check if what I'm saying is correct. My question is what kind of hook would I need to fit to the wall ? Second question would it be ok to turn in the overlaps by about 1" or 2" or would it be too bulky, or should I just rip open and re-do
    That would leave me with both curtains measuring 60"
    Any advice would be a help
    Ursula

Re: wall hook for return

HI Ursula,
    I assume your finished width includes the overlap and return. Your finished curtain is 65" to cover half a pole of 58". If you pin the return to the wall, you will reduce the finished curtain width to 60". The overlaps will 'overlap' reducing the width to about 58", so you may not have enough ease.

Regarding the actual fitting in the wall, you can use a screw eye or vine eye, as long as it will go into the wall or into the back of the bracket. You put it in horizontally level with the screw eyes on the rings and front to back, level with the outermost ring, if that makes sense.

The return is normally the same as the bracket projection, so that it fits nicely. Are you wanting to put a hook on the flat return and into a ring then return the rest to the wall? I don't think 3" will be enough to return to the wall as most brackets are around 4 1/2" projection - there will be a gap and the pin hook will show.

And yes, I think 5 1/2" is too big for an overlap - I normally make mine 2 1/2".

Not sure what the best method is here - if you do reduce the finished width you may not have enough curtain to cover the window. Can you wait and see how long the pole is before doing anything? What do others think - are my maths correct?

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen,
      Thank you for all that help and yes your maths are correct. I have turned over the overlaps by 1 and 1/2 inches and it looks better and not bulky. Like you I also usually only have 3" for overlaps - I think when I was pinning my spaces and pleats I must have just pinned both sides 5", well that's my excuse anyhow The window is 95" wide and the new pole is 10ft (120") to be cut to size. the old pole was about 116". Would I get away with cutting the pole down to 110" that would give 7 and 1/2 inches either side of the window. I don't think the client will mind if the pole is shorter than the one she had. How much ease do you think I should have or what's the least size pole width would I get away with
      Ursula

Comment

Your curtains, without overlaps and returns, currently measure 110", so there is very little ease. But if you cut the pole down, you will be losing stackback space.

If you wanted to, you could always undo the outer two pleats on each curtain and move them 1/2" outwards, reducing the return by 1" and increaing the finished width by 1". I dont know if that would help and it does seem a lot of work. See how long the pole can be cut down to.

For future, and I know it can't be used in every situation, one rule of thumb is to make a pole/track 1/3 longer than the window glass.

Regards
        Pen
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen, Good to know that rule, will know better next time. Thanks again for all the advice.
          Ursula

Comment

Working...
          X