Crushed Velvet Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crushed Velvet Question?

A client has given me some crushed velvet to make curtains. On checking it over I've noticed that the selvidges are rolled and have a stretch to them. Is this normal? I've never worked with it before but envisage problems when it comes to joins/side turns. Anyone worked with this material before?

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Crushed Velvet Question?

In this instance I would cut the selvedges off with pinking shears - it will help to lay the fabric flat so you can work with it.
    Yvonne

Comment

Thank you Yvonne, I'll try that on a small piece and see if that will ' relax ' the fabric at the edges.

Cat
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

I'd also suggest that you herringbone stitch all seams down to prevent them rolling as you would with velvet.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Just checked the fabric again. It has slight stretch vertically but considerable stretch across the width. I've been checking online on crushed velvet and on some sites it says that stretch across the width can make it very tricky in the making of curtains? Having never used it before, I don't know.

Cat
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

hi there,

Does anyone know where i can find white crushed velvet??

thank you all.
            KIND REGARDS

SERI

Comment

Try Kandola Silks, www.kandola.co.uk. They used to do a lovely opulent range of crushed velvet, but I haven't checked for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X