A Heartsink Moment !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Heartsink Moment !

I've been working on 2pairs of interlined dupion silk curtains and three romans all in the same fabiric. Blackout had also to be used on two of the romans and 1 pair of the curtains.

It's a lovely fabric with a very pale ivory background but I've been very disappointed in the way they look, after I used the blackout. It's given the fabric a grey dull look. I've used blackout before on darker fabrics and it's been fine. Has anyone else had this problem on light colours, i.e. almost white/pale ivory. I'm wondering if you would still get this grey look on venus dimout or similar. Any ideas?

I've had to unpick and remove the blackout as it just looked awful when hung!

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: A Heartsink Moment !

Hi Cat C,

I do feel for you!

I had that happen to me once, but it was blackout blinds that I had made for myself and way before I started making curtains and blinds professionaly. Unfortunatly I dont know what the answer is as I just lived with mine but I was very dissapointed with them. The weired thing is, is that I have made blackout blinds from white and pale cream fabrics since and I warned the customer that this may happen, but it didn't !!

I am sorry that I cant help and I do hope that you find a solution.

Sewmad.

Comment

I used dimout on a pair of curtains for my little Grandson's nursery and was disappointed with the result. The face fabric was pale lemon and the dimout was cream which wasn't a bad match to the lemon but they also had a grey look. I had three layers, face fabric. dimout and lining. In hindsight I should have put a layer of interlining next to the face fabric and then the dimout.

Kind regards
      Co
      Kind regards
      Colina

Comment

Thank you for your reply Sewmad. It's interesting that you've used pale colours with blackout since and the results have been fine.
        The thing is I started on the romans( with blackout) first, hung them and was happy with them. I then made the first pair of curtains ( without blackout ),hung them, was happy with them too. I then made the next pair of curtains ( with blackout ) and when I hung them next to the first pair, they just looked awful.
        So here I am, on a Saturday morning, deconstructing the second pair, to remove the blackout. Very frustrating, I loved working with this fabric and I did my very best stitching and now I'm finding it a real struggle to see the stiches properly and unpick. Grrrrrrr!!!

Cat C.
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi Coco,

As the background colour of the fabric is very pale ivory, almost white. I used white supersoft blackout thinking that this would look best. I made up using - face fabric then interlining,blackout and the lining. So I don't think it would make any difference if the blackout layer was first or not, as far as appearance goes. The thing is, I suggested to the client that blackout would be best on the romans as they were going on a south/west facing window. It wasn't discussed using it in the curtains as they are more sheltered from the effects of the sun.

It was me who decided on making up the second pair of curtains that it would probably be a good idea to use blackout on this pair as they were sitting next to the romans with blackout and I expected some shade difference if I didn't use it. If this was the only window in the room with this fabric it would probably have looked fine, all be it, a bit greyish but because there is another window with the same fabric, the difference is too great.

So the client will be none the wiser but it's certainly a lesson learnt for me. However, for next time I would be very wary on suggesting blackout to a client as I think from an appearance point of view it can be very variable.

Cat C.
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Because the blackout stops the light shining through the fabric, it can affect the colour of a wide range of fabrics, but the tighter/better woven fabrics dont suffer as much. I try not to use it as I hate the stuff!
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen. I'ts good to know it's not just me. At least I've learnt something from it. I certainly wont be suggesting it's use to clients but if they request it then at least I can explain that this change in shade can happen.

Cat C.
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
              X