Dress curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress curtains

How many pleats/ rings would you put on a pair of dress curtains, Pole measures 230cm. Client doesn't want them to shut but wants them to look opulant.
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Dress curtains

One and a half widths each side minimum for dress curtains. Anything less looks stingy, so you probably would want six pleats maybe seven depending on the size of the pleat.

Comment

Is there a rule of thumb about the proportion of the pole which should have dress curtains. I thought perhaps1/3rd each side but that may be too much so maybe 1/4 each side. i've deciced to use 2.5 times the space I am covering but what space should I cover....do u know I hve become much more indescisive since joining this forum Also as a complete aside, a spell check would be so helpful
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

Mairi - On a pole of 2.3m, assuming the stack back is 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20cm) 1.5 widths with 4 pleats per width (total 6) should be more than adequate. You can cut down on your spaces and increase the size of your pleats so that they become bolder and the curtain would be much improved if you decided to use a thicker interlining. I would normally use 410grm bump in this situation. If you look in the gallery at the pictures of the goblet pleats and roman blinds these are 1.5 widths with very large pleats with small spaces. I am not recommending goblet pleats to you but just pointing out the amount of fullness. If you are making double pleats you might want to consider putting 15cm buckram in the head with 23cm pleats and 12cm spaces.

Comment

Looking at the clients other curtains she has them dressed so the spaces are visible (if u know what I mean) so that is why I thought of covering 2/3rds of the window approx.
          I am calculating 7 rings each side. 7 pleats @18.6cm & 6 spaces @12.4cm plus half spaces plus return but this is taking about 1.7 wdths per side very wasteful don't u think? I was hoping for 3 widths.
          I got the impression that she does not want them interlined.

Also then I wondered if I should just cover 1/2 the window ie. 1/4 distance each side. I don't think as I've previously said she likes them stacked back.
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

I don't think my advice would really help you here Mairi - 186mm will not make a tripple pleat for me I'm afraid and if you substitute more face fabric for interlining because you need more body in the curtain there would seem to be some false economy somewhere allong the line as interlining tends to be a quarter of the price of face fabric at worst and throwing more fabric at the job won't provide oppulance.

Comment

I think I'm going to go with you on this. Cringe will I have to hand sew my pleats as I don't think I will manage aratex & buckram through machine...cringe. not that I've tried..suppose I should go & try.

Also I usually use 10cm buckram on curtains of up to 230cm drop & only use the larger for extra long curtains. These r the curtains I have been delibering over for several days now
              Drop wil be around 215cm ( not got pole in situe yet...it's a 28mm stainless steel pole) The curtains have red band across top 35cm or 43 cm (not decided yet) with main curtain being cream. They are being made from Villa Nova Pimlico which is a quite thick linneny damask. i dont want the buckram to come below the top of window frame... I like as few lines going on as possible especially with the curtain having this red heading! This is for a small dining room which only fits a table, six chairs & a small dresser. Compact!

Thanks for the advice if you don't mind I'd like answers to the above too
              Regards
              Mairi

Comment

You need to tell me a little more here Mairi because I must understand how your mind is working.

1. Please explain to me your thoughts on the buckram comming down below the window frame. I don't understand. Under most circumstances the curtain pole and the window treatment should be as close to the ceiling as possible and the curtains should be just barely brushing the floor. there would normally exist a section of wall between the top window reveal and the ceiling or coving/cornice line. This dimension will vary of course but it is rare that it is not sufficient to hold the whole depth of the pleat and more. In your case I would expect that almost all or all of the contrast top edge would fit into this space. Where is the problem with the bucktram ??? The buckram is contained wholy within the pleat. Are you saying that the pole is going to be fitted low and and the bottom of the pleat will be lower than the top reveal of the window and this is what you dont like to see ???

2. The drop of 2.15 seems very short and I suspect that my latter comment about the pole being low is justified here. Personally I would not produce pleats shorter then 125mm (5ins)on a curtain of this length and would prefer to see 150mm (6ins) but until you explain about this thing you have about the buckram being lower than the window frame I can't properly get my head round the pleating design.

If you take a look at the curtains posted in the Lounge, you will see three pleats, a double a goblet and a tripple. The tripple pleat allowance is 25cm (250mm - 10ins). All the pleats are made with 125mm (5ins) buckram. This, to me, looks in proportion in terms of forward projection and pleat depth. I need to know if that is what you want to see before we go much further and attempt to finalize the whole pleating arrangement. Sorry to be so slow about this but I need to get my head round certain things otherwise my advice is going to be very wrong.

Artatex is good non woven bump I have worked with it in the past. It is not quite as heavy as the 410grm bump that I currently use but very adequate for this purpose. It always forms good pleats and hangs out tight. If you can't get the single fold pleat through your machine you can always hand stitch them. Should take three or four mins each pleat with 36s hand stitching thread and nobody will ever know the difference. You only have 12 or 14 to stitch and this will take an hour tops.

Try never to worry about cutting away fabric and binning or storing it. There will be a correct pleating arrangement for each window treatment. Once you have determined what that is adding more fabric just because it is available is going to detract from the finished job rather than enhance it.

How do you want to see the spaces dressed Mairi ??? You mention in your earlier post that the client likes to dress out the spaces into thirds across the track. This can look nice and I agree with her but when she dresses them out will the centre of the space fall to the back or the front. In other words if the curtain were drawn back tight would the fabric in the space be folded forward or backward. This will have a powerful effect on the finished design. It is never desireable to stretch the space to its extent. This is one of the reasons we put ease into the heading. Not just to allow the curtain to close comfortably but to ensure that the fabric in the space is permitted to zig zag forward of backwards. This adds a small additional dimension to the head.

Comment

I fit my poles round about halfway between coving & window reveal...correction, I fit my poles so that the bottom of the curtain heading is in line wth top of window reveal. So that there are as few different horizontal lines as possible. I expect my contrast panel wil be about 16" I'm going to estimate one pattern repeat for this anyway so I'll have plenty to play with.

Anyway I've taken on board most of what u've said & I will go with interlining. Thanks for ur input..I'ver got enough info now to at least get her quote out to her.

Thanks again
                  Regards
                  Mairi

Comment

just reread ur post. I fold my spaces back but on thinking back to the curtains she already has there is no appearance of a fold ever having been there...she did comment that she had been surprised that the fitter had not dressed/ tied the curtains which is obviously true as there are no folds in the heading He he & they were made by the most expensive firm in our city
                    Regards
                    Mairi

Comment

Working...
                    X