Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading ideas for 1.5 times fullness

Help!

My client has a beautiful remnant of fabric she really wants to use for a door curtain, but it only allows me 1.5 times fullness. She's ok with this as she doesn't want loads of fabric by the door, but what sort of heading can I successfully put on to this curtain?!

I feel the only option is to use pencil pleat tape and not pull the gathers up very tight, but it does leave uneven gathers/spaces which isn't very attractive.

The curtain will be going on a pole above the door.

thanks,
    Isobel

Re: Heading ideas for 1.5 times fullness

I would use an Eyelet heading for 1.5 fullness - I have also found an eyelet heading to be very effective over a door where space is minimal too. They stack nicely and look fantastic in situ.
    Yvonne

Comment

You could see if you could calculate a handmade heading like cartridge pleats, or perhaps a pin hook heading (described in Merrick & Day's book 'Blinds, Curtains & Cushions').

cartridge
      pin hook
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Perhaps border the curtain with a contrast, either just leading edge or leading and back edge and perhaps the same for a flop top. By adding leading and back edges you will have more fabric and can then do whatever you like.

Comment

I would use a 1" header tape dropped down to leave about 5cm above. This header can get away with less fullness without looking mean.

Julie
          Julie

Comment

I did a 'wave' heading a while ago. I used buckram at the top and then sew on hooks, spacing them about 12 cm apart, I think. You then dress the curtain so that it just goes in and out with the hooks. It looked really good, and a year later it still pulls well, staying in the fold. I know this as it was for one of my most fussy customers, my daughter (non paying of course)! She didn't ike any of the traditional headings or eyelets so this was a good compromise, and also won't look skimpy.
            Janie

Comment

Like Janie, I did one of those ages ago , for exactly the same reason. Bit of a pain sewing on the hooks, but it did look good and it worked. Much less expensive than the proper ' wave' heading, but as its for a door etc etc.

Enid

Comment

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions - I have asked my client what she'd like to go for but I think it will be either the cartridge pleat or waves... I never knew there would be so many options!

Comment

Working...
                X