Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlining silk curtains

Hi

I am making interlined silk curtains, 3m drop, 2 widths per curtain. I'm wondering whether I can use a combined interlining and lining - does it give a nice drape? Otherwise would you use domette, sarill or bump?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
    Isobel

Re: Interlining silk curtains

Hello Isobel,

Please don't use the combi lining/interlining for any type of curtains!

I'm sure others will suggest types/weights if IL.

Comment

Avoid bonded interlining at all costs! You may find the post below of interest..

Bonded interlining
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, that has made my mind up! Any advice on the correct weight of interlining for beautiful silks?

Comment

This question has cropped up before - if you take a look here the info should help interlining silk
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

hi,

Just finished some full length silk curtains, i used bump and then a good cotton lining. I blanket stitched the bump to te fabric and then the lining to the bump. Domette can be too thin, and the all in one lining is not thick enough to protect the silk from the sun,

hope that helps
            sukhi
            Sukhi
            Butterfly Interiors
            Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Hello Suhki

Could you take a picture of your blanket stitching technique? It's not something I'm familiar with and perhaps should be.

Comment

I have never used a blanket stitch whilst constructing silk interlined curtains, unless of course I have missed out on something. I'd like to hear the theory behind using a blanket stitch too.

Personally I would ,like most have said, never ever use a combined interlining /blackout /lining of any sort on silk curtains. It is way too stiff.

What I do is use a bump or domette and venus dimout which is very fluid. Dimout is 98% black out hence the title dimout. Used in conjuction with the bump/domette makes a good blackout alternative and protects the silk . It takes more time to construct so your pricing will need to reflect the time and care taken. Sometimes this is what sways the customer to re consider but explained well, most opt for it.

So in theory there is 4 layers to construct and interlock.

Face fabric
                bump or domette
                dimout
                lining

Silk tends to take on the texture of the interlining used, so bear that in mind too.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Comment

i will post pic, buts its something that i learnt at merrick and day, it basically keeps the whole curtain together, while at the same time allowing movememnt between all the different fabrics. i think its also shown in the merrick and day book. will post tomorrow.
                  sukhi
                  Sukhi
                  Butterfly Interiors
                  Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Really look forward to seeing the blanket stitch Su. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post pics.

Comment

Sukhi - I'd love to see your blanket stitch too, as I haven't used that technique either. If you get a chance to post a picture that'd be great.

Isobel

Comment

I bought the combined interlining/lining once to line silk curtains and it was so awful I couldn't use it! I now use some of it on my board which sits on top of my dining room table.....an expensive mistake! I normally use 260 grm domett interlining for curtains. I presume the blanket stitch mentioned to join the layers together is an interlocking stitch.

Regards
                        Co
                        Kind regards
                        Colina

Comment

hi,

yes, i meant interlocking stitch! sorry to confuse evreryone!

sukhi
                          Sukhi
                          Butterfly Interiors
                          Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

I'm not a professional like most of these lovely peeps, but I have to say, I made some taffeta curtains and used the the bonded interlining (trying to cut corners), the result was awful and led me to post in this forum. The ended up 'splaying' all over the place, rather like a ball gown! I ended up making new curtains (they were for my own lounge) within 6 months.

I will never never used bonded interlining again (although i have had a reasonable amount of success using it on roman blinds )
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X