Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you advise please....

Just looking for ideas I guess.

I'm planning on making some new curtains for my Mum's bay window, which are only to be window sill length. As it's a bay, a track is going to be the best (and most cost effective) system. I would really like to make something with a nice heading, but have seen on the forum that hand-made headings tend not to sit well on a track. If you were in my situation, what would you choose?

I was wondering if I did goblet pleats - but allowed more per width than normal - and instead of the flat 'stacking' backwards, allowing it to fall forward to create a pleat between the goblets (I know what I mean, but am having trouble describing it); if it would work - how would I attach to the track, as these normally assume working with a tape of some description.

Hope i've described it well enough for people to understand what I mean.....
    Chris

Re: what would you advise please....

Hello Flooz,

There would be no problem with 'dressing' your spaces forward as long as you don't allow too much ease - stack back is the term given to how much space the curtains take up on the pole/track when they are fully open.

You wouldn't need to add more fullness to make the spaces sit prouder of the pleats, they will do this anyway when dressed forward. The extra fullness would enable the pleats/goblets to be bigger than normal but be careful not to make your goblets out of proportion. You could always place a pelmet in the bay, thus hiding the track and allowing you to suspend your curtains from beneath the track so that the spaces can be dressed back or you could even use tape and dress the curtains as Philip and others have to make them look like hand pleated headings.

If you simply use a track and dress the spaces forward, you will be able to use the pin hooks for hand pleated headings to suspend your curtains from the eyelet at the bottom of the hooks that come as standard with most tracks. The eyelets are often used for hanging loose linings.

You could, of course, consider working roman blinds with full length dress curtains (with lovely hand pleated headings of your choice) to give the window the look and feeling of elegance.

Good luck with your mother's bay window.

Comment

Hi Flooz,

I asked this question myself when I was asked to do triple or goblet pleats for a client who wanted to use her existing tracks instead of poles.
      Philip sent this attachment and as you can see it works with triple pleats, not so sure about goblets as I think you would loose the defination of the goblet with the spaces pleating forward. Is this what you mean?

As it turned out I managed to persuade the client of the benefit of using poles.

Cat C.[attachment=0:ust2v6r1]coveredtarck.jpg[/attachment:ust2v6r1]
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Well, that's made my mind up - i think that looks really nice; I'm trying to keep things very simple, as (i) I don't have much time to devote to this, and (ii) I've already bought the fabric.

I guess once they're dressed accordingly, they'll be fine.

Thanks Rosie & Cat.
        Chris

Comment

Hello Flooz,

I'm sure you'll make a lovely job. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and then are pleasantly surprised at how well things turn out.

Comment

Thanks Rosie - I just wish I knew all those professional things and how to do them
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X