Cutting Interlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Interlining

I am about to embark on my first set of interlined curtains. Having read all the threads on here I still have a question or two:

1. Do you take the interlining to the top of the buckram only or fold over to the back? Will this not create too much bulk to sew the pleats?
    2. How do you handle it in the corners of the curtain? I watched Schubdy's video on how to mitre corners which is very helpful. Would you mitre the interlining the same amount or only to the fold line to reduce bulk?
    3. And then just to confirm you fold the interlining up once only in the bottom hem but fold over twice in the side hems.

I appreciate your help with this!
    Charl
    Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Re: Cutting Interlining

Hi Charl,
    you are right on all counts - take the interlining only to the top of the buckram/curtain, cut the interlining away in the mitre and only turn it up once in the hem.
    Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I always take my interlining over the top of the buckram by about 1", and then I press it to the back of the buckram as I use the fusible buckram. I find it fine for stitching through the pleats and then there's no danger of it dropping down, but we all have our own method.Good luck with it - I really prefer making interlined curtains and think they are probably quicker than lined as you can do much bigger stitches and the end result is so much nicer
      janie

Comment

Thank you for the advice - I will give it a go this week.
        Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

Thank you for the advice and all the helpful hints and tips on the forum. My first pair of curtains are finished and up on the track - still bandaged.
          I enjoyed the process - made some mistakes but will learn from them for the future.
          The next job is a set of curtains for the bedroom with black out lining.
          Charl
          Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

Well done Charl, that was quick! don't worry about the mistakes - I'm sure the finished look is great.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
            X