Making Voiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Voiles

Could somebody please give me some advice on making Voile curtains? I am busy making for our house and did one - it came out ok but could be better I feel.

I am using 300cm wide fabric to do drops of 222cm. I can't pull a thread before cutting as it the weave is not perfect. I managed to square it up on the dining table - well as close as possible with the movement of the fabric. I am using pencil pleat tape for the headings and sewing in the hems at the bottom and will then insert chain weights.

What is the best way to measure the side hems accurately - I used cardboard templates to iron it and then stitched it. It worked ok though the fabric still moves...

I appreciate any advice and suggestions before continuing!!

Thank you
    Charl
    Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Re: Making Voiles

I hate doing voiles, and would much prefer to buy them from one of the made to measure suppliers. Not much help, I know, but maybe someone who has an account with one of the voile companies would allow you to buy your voiles through them....they come with weighted hems, slot or tape tops and are ready to hang. Joy all round!!!

Enid

Comment

I always stitch the hem first. Then I stitch the sides and press as they always seem to pull up slightly with stitching. I press 1cm turns and then turn again and press. If you clamp one edge and the pull taut you should be able to tell if the fabric is straight. I then measure off the finished drop.
      I hate voiles!!
      Good Luck
      Julie
      Julie

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try when I get round to the rest. I hate voiles too!
        Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

Working...
        X