Pin hooks in pleated headings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin hooks in pleated headings

I am making some double pleated headings on my curtains and have read the instructions in the Merrick and Day book for inserting the pin hooks and it says that you should stab them through the buckram at the side of the pleat. Is this right and do you have any tips on doing this without going through the face fabric?

Re: Pin hooks in pleated headings

This can take some practice.......it is important to put the hooks in the buckram rather than the pleat seam so that the stitches don't break.

You might find it easier to start a pilot hole first with something like a kitchen skewer (the kind you might test a cake with) or a large darning needle. With the lining facing you, put a hand behind the pleat and hold steady, then gently push the point of the skewer upwards into the buckram at an angle until you can feel it going through the buckram. Then remove it and repeat the process with the pin hook.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks for that Louise - another question for you. Once the pin hook is in place is there any danger that it will wear itself through the face fabric over time?

Comment

I have not seen that happen. Once the curtains are in place then the weight of the curtains tends to pull down on the hook so even when the curtains are opened/closed the pin hooks do not really move sideways under the fabric.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
        X