Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Centre Curtains

Hi!

I have been out to measure up for some curtains today and the customer has requested triple pleats for a track. That is not the problem (although I am not keen on triple pleats on tracks!). The problem is that they have a half bay window and have had a track put up and the centre of the track is in the centre of the main window. This means that one curtain will be wider than the other.

I have been calculating the pleat & space ratios and it is proving quite difficult as the finished widths are different so the space sizes would be different. I have managed to work out something so that the spaces are 12.75cm on the small curtain and 12.5 on the large curtain but I still end up with the larger curtain slightly too wide.

The fabric is plain and is 140cm wide. The finished width on one curtain is 130cm and the other is 173cm. The track has an overlap arm but is not corded.

At the moment, on the first curtain I have 9 spaces of 12.75cm and 10 pleats of 13.7cm and overlap and return totaling 15.25cm.

On the 2nd curtain I have worked out 13 spaces at 12.5cm and 14 pleats at 13.7cm (as this needs to be the same as curtain 1) and overlap and returns at 15.25cm. This means that I have had to extend the finished width of the curtain by 4.75 cm and if I increased the spaces to 12.75cm to match the first curtain then it would be even wider.

Does it sound like it would be ok to make them like this?

Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or can offer any advice?

Thanks.
    Sewmad

P.s - I forgot to measure the size of the overlap arm. Are these generally a standard size or will i need to go back and measure?

Re: Off Centre Curtains

Can you loose the extra 4.75cm by adding a couple of mm to each pleat? With 14 pleats that would only be a tiny amount per pleat (3mm?) which I do not think would show on the finished curtain.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with Louise, but I'm a bit concerned. If the track is corded, the curtains need to be the same size, otherwise it won't pull properly? That's my understanding of corded tracks.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Louise and Pen for your replies.

At least it sounds like I had the right idea and I will make the slight adjustment in the pleat.

Pen - the track is not corded so drawing wont be a problem.

Helen.

Comment

Okay, you were talking about an overlap arm, and these are normally only on corded tracks.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison

Comment

Thats what I thought! ...... but it is definatly not corded!

Comment

Just a snippet of info that I picked up today on a Silent Gliss seminar - they make overlap arms to fit into their uncorded tracks!! Just one of the things I learned today. So it may be one of their tracks.
              Julie
              Julie

Comment

Julie,
                I've been on the Silent Gliss training seminar, and I didn't pick up on that fact. Perhaps I ought to take down my certificate that says I'm fully conversant with all SG products
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison

Comment

I don't know how long these have been available - they seem to have brought out quite a lot of new stuff lately- they also have an intermediate pully that can be put anywhere on the track so that you could have one curtain wider than the other with each corded seperately. If I had known that it would have saved me hours of time when I was trying to re cord a track so that I could use each curtain on it's own. The result was both curtains at one end, various cords hanging down from the track total chaos really!!
                  I did enjoy the course and picked up some useful information.

Julie
                  Julie

Comment

Sorry to butt in..... it's quite simple to re-set the cording on a track to alter the width of LH/RH curtains to get them to open where you like.....

Comment

You can also order the corded tracks from Price and Co, they just request your RH & LH measurements.
                      Kindest Regards,
                      Karen

Comment

Working...
                      X