Ready mades surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready mades surprise

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm really surprised at the poor quality of a pair of ready mades I've been asked to alter. They're too long for her window so I'll shorten them - no probs.

But how they're made....ooh la la. I'd be so ashamed of myself if I did something like that.

They've used a blind hemmer for the fabric hem - fair enough.

The lining hem has been machined - fair enough.

They've sewn the side seams with a 3 thread wide overlock. No lockstitch.

The corners have been "mitred" by simply turning up the fabric overlap and hand stitching it VERY roughly into place with just a single stitch, sewn over and over.

The side turning's haven't been pressed and I suspect if I DID press them for my client, would not sit properly as I'm sure the fabric's not aligned correctly. There seems to be a ripple down both sides of each curtain...

The side turnings are held in place by the plastic tags from a tag-gun. They're short and clear, but they're there and I think that is just plain sloppy. They're in three locations up each edge of each curtain.

Now my client only paid £30 for these in a sale, but the full price was £100. Yes, that included fabric ( a really really NASTY polyester and a cheap see-through lining) but these must have taken 15 minutes to make.

I'm stunned at what people are willing to pay for. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

Oh and there are multiple faults with the face fabric - pulled threads etc. Client has seen them and just wants me to go ahead.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Re: Ready mades surprise

I think nowadays that quality is not appreciated by many people, they just go on cost and for a instant look. Just look at the clothing industry! I personally would always like to pay a more for quality, even if it means going without something else (although I have been known to shop at Ikea...). But each to their own.

I may, though, get myself a tag gun :P

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I shortened 3 pairs of ready mades last week and like you, Bluebell, was horrified at the dreadful quality fabric & lining and the appalling way they'd been made. The face fabric hadn't even been blind hemmed but machined straight across! Think Pen's right, lots of people just go on cost and instant look.

Thankfully there are still some people out there who appreciate quality and are prepared to pay for it - we just have to find them! On a positive note, people who've come to me initially for alterations have quite often come back for made to measure - so it's often worthwhile doing horrid alterations .
      Jane

Comment

Why should you be surprised indeed, Bluebell.

Along with some other topics this is a regular one here, with most folk having a horror tale to tell. We altered two pairs last Saturday to complete some work. Blackout lined, rubbery stuff, no weights, machine made, squint ( so we did not even consider pressing them), leading edges twisted as well and then found an interlining loose inside. I don't think that the customer even knew it was there. None of the others in the house are like that , and as for the tiebacks.....
        They will never, ever sit straight and I know that she can see the comparison between ours and these ones..... but they were not cheap, £560.00, she just loved the fabric. Each to his or her own as they say.

Buy the tag gun Pen if you must....I hope not for yourself??

Enid

Comment

I love my tag gun for putting weights in - put two or three tags through the little bag and the job's done. :P

Angie

Comment

I totally agree that there is a place for a micro tag gun, Angie. Perfect for penny weights and also perfect when checking off enormous lengths of fabric. Far nicer than getting a pin in one's finger any day.

As to bad ready mades.... there are far too many for my liking!

Comment

For checking off enormous lengths of fabric - what an excellent idea......where do you buy these things?
              Jane

Comment

Morplan!

Comment

I bought my tagging gun from Morplan, also I use a dab of Copydex to secure my weights in curtains.

Eileen.

Comment

Has anybody ever come across any decent ready mades? The ones I shortened from Primark were easily the best I've found, apart from the packaging creases, which are coming out with time and hanging, and they were pennies.

Mind you, I've altered "professional" handmades, which I know cost far more than I'd dare charge (big, well thought of local company, goodness knows how they got their reputation, or kept it), and found rusting pins in the heading, as well as the usual bad pattern match, dodgy side seams and so on. I was doing a sofa in a rather beautiful house last week, and the curtains kept annoying me... they puddled, with a beautiful buttoned inverted pleat heading, but they'd been bagged out, and badly pressed, so the side hems didn't sit properly. I tweaked, so I could get on with what I was doing, but I wonder how much they paid for a shoddy job.

Comment

Tagging guns came up a while ago for anyone interested.......read a little way through the post until you get to the relevant part tagging gun
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X