Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lined Curtains

Hia all you professionals!
    What allowances to you allow for your lining and fabric widths when making tubed, lined curtains.
    Regards
    Julie
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Re: Lined Curtains

If I make 'bagged' curtains by machine (rather than handmade curtains) I make the lining 15cm narrower than the fabric. Stitch with 1.5cm seams.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Never made bagged curtains!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hello Ladies,

Surely you can have good quality curtains whether they are handmade or machine made? Just because they are machine made doesn’t mean that they are rubbish.

It’s about the care and handling that goes into them. i.e. The pattern placement and attention to detail.

In this economic climate we have to adapt and change to meet customers' demands for a more value for money product and secure the sale.

After all there are some excellent curtain makers who use pencil pleat tape and dress their curtains to make them look like triple pleat and the customer doesn’t know any different. This way they get an affordable, high quality, hand-finished product that will outstrip some people's hand made curtains, when not made well.

Phillip with his successful business, is able to do both excellently, giving his customers satisfaction both in their homes and their pockets.

Comment

Rosie
          My thoughts exactly, tactfuly said!
          Regards
          Julie
          Kind Regards
          Julie Monty

Comment

How are you getting on with them?

Comment

Hi
              I would disagree about machine made curtains.
              It does not matter how you handle them or place the pattern, they still look inferior to handmade curtains.
              I dont see the point in someone going for bespoke curtains and then getting a machine finished item.
              But if they do not know the difference, as many customers dont then you could probably get away with it

On cost, yes, securing the sale is important but it is profit not sales that count at the end of the day.

The only machine lined curtains we make are for the contract market where the volume offsets the low profit margin
              As for pencil pleat being dressed correctly- yes they can be, the point that has been made in previous posts about pinch pleats is they do hang better and are easier to dress, fit etc

Just my opinion of course

Cheers
              Clark

Comment

Hello Clark,

I think I should have said that I totally agree that Hand Made Hand Pleated is the real way to make a curtain. HOWEVER, I know machinists who can machine make superbly and very very quickly, making their price per widths considerably cheaper than my HMHP (and cheaper than my machine made as I am not a time served machinist!). Not everyone can justify the extra expense of HMHP and, if they're collecting and hanging, one doesn't have the problem of all the extra time required to draw up, hang and dress. Yes, if you're providing a 'full' service' and hanging too, the perfect way is HMHP.

I suppose we have to accept there are many roads to Rome and each of use will take our own. Perhaps this debate will encourage machinists to try HMHP and perhaps the others of us should have a go at 'bagged out'. I have to confess if I make machine mades they take me as long as hand made . . . .

Comment

I've never made bagged curtains for several reasons. One is I'm rarely asked. When making smaller curtains, I find I can hand sew the linings in almost as quickly as I can stitch them by machine, taking into account the time needed for going to the machine, turning through, pressing etc. I also find that with some fabrics, if taken to the machine and 'scrunched' up too often, then need pressing at the end whereas keeping them flat on the table helps to prevent this.

I'm not saying there is no market for bagged curtains, but I like sewing them by hand!!

Regards
                  Pen
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

This discussion has come up many times over the years and people always maintain hand made is better - I disagree, given the necessary machinery many people would never dream of hand sewing hems, I only hand sew interlined curtain hems now, and my blind hemmed hems are immaculate and they still have mitred and weighted corners. I hand sew the linings because I'm not a good enough machinist to bag line curtains - However, as long as the linings are machined in in the same direction they will be as good as hand sewn.

In my time in soft furnishings I have never been asked for hand sewn curtains, from anyone.. That includes my customers who pay £99+ a metre for fabric and high labour charges. With regards hand pleating the headings, if the customer is paying for it then it'll be easier to hang - If they ain't paying for it, 3" pencil pleat is all I'd give them.

My curtains all hang wonderfully and even amaze me when I open them and they all fall gracefully into folds - All have 3" pencil pleat tape on them..

Philip
                    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

We make both types of curtain in my workroom. For years I only ever produced handmade curtains however the machine made curtains we now make look very good in my opinion.
                      We take just as much care making these as we do handmade. It's all about the prep work you do before taking them to the machine.
                      At the end of the day it's about customer service.
                      I was once on a training course with another lady who had her own workroom. She told me the story about a pair of curtains she had made for some customers who came from India.
                      They were made by hand.. the couple bought them back and asked for them to be machine made because to them it was a sign of quality in India.
                      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hello Penny.

What a fabulous story. One only has to think of other culture differences to appreciate the impact that a cultural faux pas means. In this case handmade = cheap, inferior, peasant-like while machine made = technology, affluence, prestige. How different we all are.

My machining ability and space for machines is limited so I prefer to offer hand made but will do whatever to satisfy my customers (within the bounds of decency, I hasten to add). I do not consider machine made inferior and am in awe of machinists who can turn out excellent ones. We must NOT compare quality workroom, machine made curtains with evil ready mades from stores, by the way. There is just NO comparison.

Comment

Working...
                        X