Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folded over tab tops

Hi everyone,

I have a customer who wants some curtains sewn in the same way as some existing ones. They are basically tab tops with the tabs folded over to the back and sewn down to give a slot for a pole to go through, and all that is seen from the front is a slightly gathered panel effect. I have a feeling this has been covered before somewhere, and wondered if anyone else has made these? I had a quick look at the construction of the originals, but didn't have time to examine them fully. I guess the tabs need to be tight enough to hold the pole without the curtain slipping downwards, but loose enough to be drawn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sas

Re: Folded over tab tops

I think these first appeared in Ikea and now others are copying (e.g. Next) - think they call them belt tops????? There is a post from last year about hidden tabs too http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.p...lit=hidden+tab I think Sue made some in a voile a little while ago.

I have made some for someone from readymade tab tops and they worked well, you can also buy tape to get this effect here if you don't fancy making the tabs up yourself.

[attachment=0:31lbix4h]hidden tab back.jpg[/attachment:31lbix4h]

Like tab tops you have to think about the curtains meeting in the middle if there is a centre bracket, and the stackback of the tabs when the curtains are open.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thats great - thanks for the link Louise - much appreciated.

Sas

Comment

Habitat use this heading too - I have just chopped off this heading from some Habitat curtains and eyeletted them instead for a customer but I did keep the top just in case I was asked for thsi - great post Louise very helpful.
        Yvonne

Comment

I haven't seen these before but they do like nice I think I might try them for my own curtains as I like the way they cover the pole and that they sit in folds when open. Would they work on most fabrics?

Comment

I would think so - I have seen them in mid-weight cotton, linen/cotton mix. I wonder if anything too silky or 'springy' would simply push back along the pole and be tricky to keep the curtains open. Very heavy weight fabric would be unsuitable too I think - perhaps too 'cardboardy'
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

JL are making them too.

Comment

Working...
              X