working with silk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with silk

i am working for the first time with some silk fabric called cathcart by laura ashley a woven silk. interesting. i am going to interline them. any dos or donts. the fabric is very creasy looking i ironed a scrap piece it goes smooth but i think it is suppose to be creased looking and crisp. any help or tips on interlining what type to use or any help so i can prevent any probs. thanks dea.

Re: working with silk

I would use a medium domett, as I find the fibres don't pull through with the interlocking the same as the bump. And silk is often quite stiff and papery looking. But I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I think sometimes silk naturally has a creasy look about it. I'd also go with a medium weight domette. Have fun making them, I love working with silk and I'm sure they will look fabulous.
      Kindest Regards,
      Karen

Comment

Hi
        Agree with all the above, Silk is wonderful to work with. Dont use too hot an iron, it is a beautiful natural fabric and does not need a lot of pressing.Watch out though if its going in a southfacing window, silk does fade badly.Sure you will do a fantastic job.
        Helen

Comment

Working...
        X