Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curtains

hello everyone,
    i was very busy doing curtains and at last i`m ready .
    but a problem came up because the windows opens to the inside of the room so you have to keep moving the curtains all the time and when you try to draw the curtains in their place they don`t come as close as you want . they have tiebacks also and they are three pleated and i did leave extra so they come on each other in the middle.they are hung on a white rail and it doesn`t look good the rail is showing in the middle . What should i do ? i am trying to cover the rail with the same material.

best regards

maria.

Re: curtains

Hello Maria,

It sounds like a difficult window. Most British Windows open to the outside.

When the curtains are closed do they meet? If they don't, can you add a contrast leading edge to them to make them a little wider?

I might be tempted to use a pole that is wider than the window really needs so there would be extra room for 'stack back' when the curtains are open and perhaps make wider spaces than I normally would (as long as you're not pleating to pattern, or course) so the curtains take up less space on the pole when open and are wide enough to draw across when closed as long as the pole is far enough away from the wall to allow this.

I think the terms I have used are in Philip's glossary of terms.

I wonder if you could add a border to the leading edge to make the curtain's meet, if they don't.

I would be a little worried about covering a pole in fabric if it stops the rings from running over the fabric freely.

Comment

If it is a track or rail (not a pole) then you could consider a fabric covered lath & fascia, but that means taking the track down and fitting it under the board.

You can see pictures of some here http://www.ontrack.uk.com/tracks/lath-and-fascia.html
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Had totally missed the word 'rail' Well spotted Louise!

Comment

hello everyone,

I want to thank all of you for the ideas you gave me.
          The windows open to the inside because it is a house of character and who ever made them did not think of the curtains he made them like the old times.
          It`s on the rails and not a pole .I made one curtain on a pole and looked nice but the ones that they are on the rail with the white rail showing i did not like it .I told her to buy poles but it was costing her more money plus the rails has no string so it makes it more difficult to draw the curtains to come as close as you want.I saw the website and it is a good idea to cover the rail on top of it .I see what i will do .

thanks again

best regards

maria

Comment

I have some basic instructions for making the fabric covered board if you would like me to email them to you? Send me a PM with your email address (or postal address if you prefer) and I can send them to you.

Louise
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
            X