Growing Fabric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Fabric!

Hi just got some LA fabric on the table it is woven and fraying like mad plain linen. I thought that it seemed very stretchy so measured then ironed and measured again and it has grown by more than 4cm!!! So do I take ironed measurement or do I take non ironed?

Re: Growing Fabric!

I would suggest you cut your drops and leave the fabric to rest for a day or two.. I've had 5 widths of linen hanging for 3 days now and will make them up tomorrow.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip thank you but the fabric has been sat unrolled for 4 days as usual LA have sold the client short and I really have no spare margin so I need to do exact cut lengths but it seems impossible to get the same measurement as the fabric is moving aargh.

Comment

I think you would have to take the non ironed drop as if you think about it when you iron out creases they inevitably pop back again after a while, particularly with the lovely LA method of screwing fabric into a bag. I do think Phillip is right and you would be well advised to hang the fabric for a few days first as that is very different to laying it out flat. In the past when I didn't have anywhere to hang fabric, due to sloping ceilings in workroom, I used to split a cardbord tube from fabric lengthways and slide it over the top of the door, then hang the fabric over that, can't then shut the door, but hey ho! I have just ordered the no fray spray from Merrick and day which has just arrived so will let you know if its sucessful - I'm hoping that if I spray the aubergine velvet that I am about to embark on that my room won't be full of purple fluff!
        Good luck
        Janie

Comment

Thank you Janie what a great idea will split tube and hang the fabric over door. Hope the sray works I have not tried it. Good Luck

Comment

Sophie,

I would advise that you use extreme caution. I had a nightmare with LA fabric earlier this year. I had the opposite where my finished items all shrunk after they had been made up. I think that the pressing and steaming may have stretched the fabric, which then later returned to its original size. The fabric was a large Red/Green Buxton check. I had shrinkage of approximately 4cm over the drop of a full length curtain, and approximately 1-2cm on the length and width of two Romans. All of which I had to remake FOC and my client has not returned for any further work. LA have responded with the standard 'all fabric is subject to atmospheric conditions...and they cannot be held responsible etc. etc. et al....'

I always pre-hang my cloth over poles in my workroom before working on them..., so it must have been in the pressing.

Please be very careful...

Sue.

Comment

Thanks Sue they are now resting over my door. Will return to them tomorrow fingers crossed I am going out in my garden!

Comment

This topic reminded me of how [email protected]&&ed off I was when I had to do re-do this job FOC. I suddenly though about the customer, and wierdly she phoned yesterday, to say that she was very pleased with the job once it had been completed. All her visitors including her Mum who used to make curtains, had commented on how well made they were. She will defo be coming back to me for her lounge curtains in the future, and will look at my fabrics before looking anywhere else. She hadn't phoned before because she had lost my number, and when she was doing some paperwork, she found my number on the quote buried in a pile of papers!

That cheered me up!

Nice when clients take the trouble isn't it?

Sophie - I hope your fabric is behaving!

Sue.

Comment

Sue, how lovely that your customer has taken the time & trouble to call you and tell you what a good job you've done - especially after you all the extra work you had to do. It quite restores my faith in human nature. Figures crossed for some more work from her (and her friends). Perhaps you'll be able to recoup some of your losses from the last job
                  Jane

Comment

Working...
                  X