Knotted Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knotted Rope

I'm making my first pair of hand finished goblet curtains and I've been trying to get to grips with knotted rope to place at the bottom of the goblets.

I've been following the instructions on page 149 of Encyclopaedia of Curtains and can manage to do the knot o.k. but can't seem to get equal spacing between knots. Does anyone know if you work from left to right or left to right and also is there an easy method of working out how much cord is needed over 4 widths.

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Knotted Rope

Hi Cat

I have done lots of knotted rope on curtains. I have not found a way of exacting how much rope is needed but I generally add up the number of widths and times is by 140 and I allow 25cm per knot: ie for your curtains 140 x 4 = 5.6m plus knots average 4 per width 16 x 25cm = 4m plus a bit for returning back under the curtain - so I would get 10m as that should do the job! I'm sure someone on here can exact it more than me but I like to have plenty of rope.

It is difficult to get the equal spacing but I work from left to right with the curtain top towards me. I normally slip the knot down the rope to where I want it!
    Yvonne

Comment

If you leave a little loop of rope between pleats then it gives you a little more leaway. I usually get the first two right and then you just have to play around with it, I don't think there is an exact method of working it out. Merrick and Day's quantity book gives you the correct total of rope, but I'm afraid I don't have it to hand
      Janie

Comment

I work out how much I need for a space and the knot, then measure from the first knot's end and put a pin in. Then tie the knot and move it until it finishes at the pin. Fiddly, I know, but it does help to get them accurately spaced.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you ladies for your advice, I think I'm getting the hang of it now!

Cat
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
          X