Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting fabric

Hi

This is only my second post and am feeling very naive and stupid about all this curtain and blind making.

I have got my fabric and am now getting read to cut it. Only problem is (and I know this is going to sound really stupid) but how do I make sure the width of the fabric is level when I cut it. Obviously I do not know if the fabric has been cut straight when I bought it and therefore I cannot just measure down from there. Feeling rather confused. I am using fabric with vertical stripes and I really dont want to end up with wonky stripes. Am I right to assume that the sides are straight as these have not been cut?

Please can someone explain in simple beginners terms!!!

Many thanks.

Lisa

Re: Cutting fabric

Hi Lisa

You're not the first (and you certainly won't be the last) to ask this question so please don't feel stupid & don't ever be afraid to ask - we've all had to start somewhere.....

Someone cleverer than me would be able to cut & paste the link but I can't so.....go to the Curtains section, on the second page, there's already a topic called "Curtain Linings - how do I get a true straight square edge".....I think that should tell you what you need to know. If it doesn't, come back & ask again.

Good luck
    Jane

Comment

I think this is the one lining
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

If the fabric is printed, then go with the pattern, not the grain. Lay the fabric flat, and use a long ruler or length of wood to line up one repeating pattern across the width. Draw a line and cut along this line. When you measure up for the the next cutting line, you should be on the same bit of pattern (an even number of pattern repeats in each drop) so that your drops all match across the width.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Many thanks. I was kind of right I knew if I matched the selvidges it would get me somewhere!!

I am going to give it a go.

Once again many thanks.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
          X