Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

machined seams - why do they end up too short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machined seams - why do they end up too short?

Hi everyone!

I wondered if anyone else has come across this problem

When machining together lining panels or panels of main fabric, or when maching main to lining fabric.... I always find that the finished length of the curtain at the seams ends up a bit shorter than the centre of the fabric panel - maybe around 2cm shorter on a 2.2m drop. This means I have to let down my hem slightly at these points to compensate - obviously very annoying

There must be a better way? any ideas what to do

Paula

Re: machined seams - why do they end up too short?

Hi Paula

It sounds like you have a tight tension, try loosening the tension dial and see how you go - If you don't already do so, add a lead weight to all seams and corners and be sure to press the seams well.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

As well as the tension suggestion, try using a walking foot here too, it should help the fabrics feed smoothly and evenly.

My machine has built-in dual feed which I just leave turned on all the time as I find it so useful. The only time I dis-engage it is when I use particular feet that you cannot use it with.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I machine from the bottom of the fabric, hem end so when this happens the uneven bit gets cut off when measuring for finished length.

Eileen.

Comment

There's always a chance the selvedges could be tight as well. I tend to cut selvedges off as standard, especially on lining, for that reason.

Comment

Yes, to the above - check the tension on your machine, always cut off selveges, and if necessary, with one hand at the back of the machine and one at the front, hold the two layers and keep them taut as they are going under the needle. This also helps to stop the top layer 'walking'. Your seam shouldn't be shorter, I'm sure it's the tension on your machine.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll try those suggestions and let you know how I get on!

Paula

Comment

When measuring for the finished length on curtains, it is always advisable to measure on the seam in case there is a sight difference. But I wouldn't alter the hem.
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

I'm currently having this problem as well - I've just joined some Romo fabric (pattern matching). I've tried altering the tension on my machine (should it be upper or lower tension) and nothing seems to help. I hold the fabric as I feed it through, press and trim the seams carefully and it only seems to happen on the main fabric - not the lining. What else can I try? Would a walking foot help - or have I just got a rubbish machine (which I don't think is the case). It's driving my bonkers .
                  Jacqui
                  Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

I had this problem a while ago. I found that loosening the tension and making the stitch a bit longer helped. I also use a walking foot, which I have on most of the time. It's really worth investing in one!
                    Kind regards
                    Colina

Comment

Could it be to do with the thread you are using?

Comment

Working...
                      X