hems on curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hems on curtains

can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong when making curtains. Pulled thread to get straight line -ironed over top - perfect. Did same to bottom - attached lining made triple pleats. Have not sewn hems yet only pinned up. All going well. Curain finished Hung up in sewing room to look at and sides are up compared to rest of hem. Pole and floor straight ?? Where do I go wrong that I always have to kneel and pin again?? Frustraed

Re: hems on curtains

I'm not sure if it is the solution to your problem, but most curtain makers lay the fabric out flat, then make the bottom hem first (ensuring the bottom edge is perpendicular). Then hem the lining and stitch in at the sides. Finally, again with everything flat and smooth, measure up from the bottom edge to mark and fold the top hem and finish the curtain with the chosen heading. You could also check the corners with a set square (or something else you know is an accurate right angle) to make sure things are 'true'.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I always do the hem and complete all the rest of the curtain before doing the tops. I measure the finished length on the face side of the curtain and insert a line of pins, then turn over the top. When you are slip stitching the linings to the sides always ease them a little as you pin/stitch, otherwise that could be why your sides are shorter.
      Rosannagh

Comment

Thanks for those answers. I'm on my knees pinning and praying

Comment

If your curtains are 'up at the sides' are the selvedges tight or are your seams tight, distorting the lay of the fabric?

Sometimes one needs to clip or even remove selvedges if they are causing problems.

Comment

Thanks Rosie - I just wasn't happy with the curtain so I took it apart triple pleats the lot ( is there anyone as mad as me? I have now made it again and it's hanging up and perfect. I'm guessing because I overlocked the raw edge on hem and sides it just didn't sit properly (never overlocked edges before -but because the material was stringy I decided to overlock and of course I was rushing - Timely mistake but happy now, onwards and upwards another two pairs to make.
            Ursula

Comment

So pleased you've 'cracked' your problem, Crackerkelly! Look forward to your photos......

Comment

Working...
              X