Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlining ?

Hya,
    I've just spent the last couple of hours reading just about every thread on interlining(33 pages) & alas I didn't find my answer
    I want to know if you folks have a rule of thumb about which weight/type of interlining to use on which weight/type of fabric?

I have recently quoted (& got deposit on) curtains in Villa Nova Erin Flax/Cranberry. I have quoted using Evans 230gsm but on reflection wonder if this is too light...just realized I've made enough profit to raise my game so i can stop worrying about that

I have an online order to the above waiting this last few hours so if anyone is able please help asap
    Thanking you all in anticipation...

I have made window seats in this fabric before & posted the pics but they have dissapeared from the gallery...
    The pattern is from the VN Mya range & recommends blackout lining ....so perhaps a thicker interlining please help cos I am an absolute novice in the field of interlining
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Interlining ?

Dear Maira.

Have you contacted Evans they may be able to guide you.

All I know is that when I buy my Interlining from the shops there is no choice of weight, Sarril, or domette are the only choice there is the domette after handling looks like peas could be strained through it.

As I only sew for a hobby and not very good with computers the big suppliers do not want to know so I do not have an account anywere.

I Would go with what you have already got or ordered after all the last thing you need is them standing up on their own.

Eileen.

Comment

Do you know why blackout is recommended? In the back of my mind I remember a posting something about the woven pattern showing through from the back of the fabric when the light shines through the window but I can't find it!!!!
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Dear Louise

I am glad you have mentioned this dilemma with certain types of fabrics no matter how small the pattern there is always a long band of loose weave about an inch wide running along the width of the fabric.

This is not always noticeable at the time of buying as the material is rolled or folded up. It is when it is held up it looks like a stripe going across the back.

Which spoils and detracts from the original pattern. I have got used to this now and if I am with a customer I point this out. Using blackout lining as well as interlining does help Interlining on it's own doesn't always solve the problem.

Eileen.

Comment

I recently made 4 pairs of pencil pleat headed curtains using VN Erin Flax/Cranberry and I blackout lined them to stop the lines in the weave showing through when the light was behind them (which I didn't do with my own lounge curtains some time ago and it's annoyed me ever since!)

I tried holding the fabric + interlining + standard lining up to the window and the weave still showed through so I used blackout instead. Didn't interline as well as the fabric + blackout weighed so much I was concerned the pole wouldn't take the weight of interlining as well.

The only photo I have is of half of a pair in my (rather messy) workroom before they were delivered. They folded into pleats really well. Unfortunately I haven't seen them hung but the customer has told me she's delighted with the results.
          [attachment=0:k5sgwli8]Blackout lined pencil pleat curtains 1.JPG[/attachment:k5sgwli8]
          Jane

Comment

Perhaps blackout lining is recommended to help stop fading. I've never seen this sort of recommendation from a fabric supplier before though.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Blackout is recommended to stop the horizontal weave at rear of fabric which carries the pattern being visible through the fabric. I have held it up to the light with various linings behind & have decided on 280g twill weave which considerably reduces the visibility of afore said weave...so here's hoping..

Thanks again
              Regards
              Mairi

Comment

Working...
              X