Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to do hem on 'puddling' curtains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to do hem on 'puddling' curtains?

Hiya,

I have a job coming up where i have been asked to allow for a puddle on the curtains.

When i did my college course i did a pair of curtains with a 15cm puddle for my friend. But in hindsight i was unhappy with them as i did a 10cm double hem - with interlining, and felt the puddle laid far too rigidly and looked peculiar.

I was considering instead doing a 7cm double hem, but then it was suggested to me that a single overlocked hem would be far better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best way to go would be? and also whether i should be allowing between 15-20cm for a puddle? Perhaps that is too much.

Thanks very much,

V

Re: Best way to do hem on 'puddling' curtains?

Dear Apprentice.

I would lay the curtain lining flat on the fabric as usual with out any pre machined hem. Turn under raw edge of lining about 1and a half inches slip stitch to hem of main fabric all the way along.

Also I do all my curtains this way, If you want a softer look then omitting a double hem on the curtain fabric may help as they are going to rest on the floor.

Regards the allowance this is a personal thing, are they going to be held back by tiebacks and still have the puddle effect!

Of the two options I would go for the 20cms.

Eileen.

Comment

Dear apprentice,
      I would also close line a puddled curtain - stitch the lining in place along the bottom edge. Unless you want swathes of fabric on the floor, I tend to allow around 10cm for puddling.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

May i ask what the benefits are to stitching the lining in place, i am thinking its to stop pressure being exerted onto the daisy chains/interlocking if the lining lays away from the curtain on the floor, also to allow the curtain to hang in correct folds - is that the reason?

Thanks x

Comment

Yes, although to dont have daisy chains holding the two layers together. Stitching across the bottom holds the layers together, and you dont have to check when dressing to make sure the lining is laying the same as the face fabric.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen, that makes sense.

I am thinking of either a 10cm or 7cm single hem - overlocked an then the lining stitched in place at the bottom. I still feel as though i should hem the lining appropriately before i sew it down, or do you think just pressing under the raw edge and stitching is enough?

Comment

I personally would opt for sewing the lining all the way around the curtain. Using a single 10cm hem to the main curtain, herringbone into place catching the turned interlining, turn under a 2cm hem to the lining , then interlock as normal every 1/4, slip stitch the bottom 2cm into place so there's no loose lining at all.

I have made puddle length silk curtain using just the daisy chain method, normal double 5 cm hem , it was a nightmare to dress as they were floor length + 20cm puddle ( client insisted the length woul be fine)

Have a look at this former post: It might just help explain

Hems

Comment

Working...
              X